JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any body have to replace their e-disco yet. Mine quit working on my 07 at 27,000 mi. I took it to the dealer and they replaced it. They also said that the cause of the failure was water and mud getting into the unit and shorting it out. I do not put it in the mud very often so I was thinking WTF OVER. I guess after the warranty is out, if it goes bad again, i will get manuals. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
I have heard of some failures in the past. Even some that failed for no apparent reason. On the other hand, mine refuses to die and I have used it as a jackstand and the wiring connector as a skid plate.

I too will go to manual disconnects once my push button units gives up the ghost. It is very convienent but doesn't allow enough travel for my suspension as I am always ripping the connecting rods off of the front axle.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
#1, Unplug it (at the disconnect mechanizim) then plug it back in. See if that doesn't fix it.

#2, Alternativly I have seen putting the transfer case in 4wd and drive for a bit then turn the disconnect on and off. Once it is off, put the transfer case back into 2wd. (all on limited traction surface of course)

#3, disconnect the battery for 10 minutes then reconnect. Should reset the brain and might stop the blinking once you drive a bit.

#4, I have seen this end up resulting in a complete replacement of the e-disco. Under Warranty from the dealer.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Find another dealer.

I wheel with the owner of our local dealership. I never have had a problem bringing mine in for factory service. And mine is slightly modified and has been on a dirt road or two. :)

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
i went thru multiple e discos and ended up just going with the currie and we dont get a wholelot of rain or mud here in socal

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Mine has crapped out twice. I remove the connector at the motor, clean and reconnect and it starts working again. I'm not sure I'm cleaning much as the inside of the connector looks pristine each time. I will go to a standard swaybar when this happens a couple more times!

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Pull the connector apart and clean it up all nice and pretty.....

Then smoother it in axle grease and stick it back together. That will keep a lot of dirt and water out of the connection. ;)

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer should replace it if its still under warranty. I know some of you gents have had problems with warranty coverage but we need to fight with them. My dealer told me that the trail rated badge says that for a reason. So if they will not replace it if its under warranty just because you took it offroad, give em hell TEXAS. He also told me that as long as a mod does not affect the failed part it will be warrantied. ie. If you are running 37" tire, they will not warranty the bearings or axles, But everything not directly related to the oversize tires is still under warranty. When I first took mine in, the desk weenie told me that because i had a 2 1/2" lift, no warranty. I just told him to get me the owner. Problem solved.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Cleaned it, lubed it, beat it, still lit up
Did you try all the other steps outlined above? If so and the light is still coming on, then yes there is a problem with the disco and you will have to replace it. Then clean and lube it up.

Also note that there is sensors in the positioning of the arms on the connecting rod from the disco to the axle. I say this because everytime I have ripped the swaybar rod off of the axle it would fault the on board computers and depending on the angle of the twist even put the JK into limp mode once. So if you have rotated the disco, maybe try to put the arms into what would have been the stock position, disconnect the battery then reconnect. This fixed my limp mode issues steming from the disco being free from the axle.

This pretty much expires my knowledge on the disco. Hope it works!

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Did you try all the other steps outlined above? If so and the light is still coming on, then yes there is a problem with the disco and you will have to replace it. Then clean and lube it up.

Also note that there is sensors in the positioning of the arms on the connecting rod from the disco to the axle. I say this because everytime I have ripped the swaybar rod off of the axle it would fault the on board computers and depending on the angle of the twist even put the JK into limp mode once. So if you have rotated the disco, maybe try to put the arms intowhat would have been the stock position, disconnect the battery then reconnect. This fixed my limp mode issues steming from the disco being free from the axle.

This pretty much expires my knowledge on the disco. Hope it works!

All aside from trying another dealer. The light would stay off for a few minutes and then come back on. When I did get it to turn off I put it in 4w and disconnected it the reconnected it and the light started the flashing again. I appreciate the help, but I think it has crapped out. Time for some antirocks. Phil, oh Phil, I have another order for ya.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine died the second time I had it offroad. Szott Jeep in Michigan replaced the whole unit without giving me any grief. - I've had no problems since and that was over a year ago.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
For you guy that are have some good help with greasing the connector. Some grease has graphite, which is conductive. Try picking up some DC-4 (Dow Corning #4) or sparkplug silicone lube. It is non conductive and is designed to work on connectors. Just some info. Now that I've heard this I'm going to be sure to keep the connector lubed up.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts