1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
It never ends...
2,904 Posts
Yeah yeah yeah.

Lance pointed out the reasons quite well in his article. JkU with big tires, high HP-->D-60 isn't strong enough. I don't even know how many rear shafts I've twisted or broken over the last few years. I can remember 5, but it might have been 6. I have two twisted rears in Rex right now. I've been running him that way for about a year, figuring that I'll eventually get a D-80. I wouldn't do a hemi with 40+ tires again using a D-60.

Fast forward to this summer. My axles are getting worse, I'm always worried about breaking them when I am in a bad place (like a waterfall face in the boonies). I've been been building up $ in my jeep fund since last year. Then Wes from TrailJeeps said, "hey Pat I have an extra D-80 that would work with Rex and I'll give you a good deal on it". Wes was right, it would work well with Rex, and it was a decent price. I sent it up to Bob a TnT so he could design the mounts (Rex has a three link rear with what used to be an Evo lever). This week, I'm lucky, all the pieces come together. TnT will be putting it in.

The best part: I get points at home for this. I saved, it came out of the jeep budget, so I planned. It is a safety item: My family knows I am going to wheel hard--its Rex after all. None of them want me to break at a critical moment, especially on a wall.

So yes. I am extremely fortunate on all fronts.:D

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
Great reasoning for this rear axle. With a JK like Rex doing essentially buggy stuff this is a great set up.

Also great article too!

Yeah yeah yeah.

Lance pointed out the reasons quite well in his article. JkU with big tires, high HP-->D-60 isn't strong enough. I don't even know how many rear shafts I've twisted or broken over the last few years. I can remember 5, but it might have been 6. I have two twisted rears in Rex right now. I've been running him that way for about a year, figuring that I'll eventually get a D-80. I wouldn't do a hemi with 40+ tires again using a D-60.

Fast forward to this summer. My axles are getting worse, I'm always worried about breaking them when I am in a bad place (like a waterfall face in the boonies). I've been been building up $ in my jeep fund since last year. Then Wes from TrailJeeps said, "hey Pat I have an extra D-80 that would work with Rex and I'll give you a good deal on it". Wes was right, it would work well with Rex, and it was a decent price. I sent it up to Bob a TnT so he could design the mounts (Rex has a three link rear with what used to be an Evo lever). This week, I'm lucky, all the pieces come together. TnT will be putting it in.

The best part: I get points at home for this. I saved, it came out of the jeep budget, so I planned. It is a safety item: My family knows I am going to wheel hard--its Rex after all. None of them want me to break at a critical moment, especially on a wall.

So yes. I am extremely fortunate on all fronts.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts