JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the Dually D2s I picked up at the Northridge 4x4 Open House this past weekend. I put them on the windshield mounts and can't believe the amount of glare I get. These lights do a great job of lighting up the road and the bushes down both sides of the street but I can't stand the glare. It reflects off the sides of the hood and onto the sunvisor sticker and drives me nuts. I'm thinking about moving them to the fog light holes and using the awesome BDF mounts Tim designed.

Anyone else bothered by the glare from windshield mounted D2s?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
LED lights tend to bleed off a lot around the edges regardless of beam pattern. The problem is that the diode is flat so it can't effectively be inserted into the reflector to send more light downrange. The resulting effect of that design characteristic is a bit of flaring from what the optics can't collect and direct. The BDF brackets might be a good solution. Did you take any pictures of how bad the flare is on the hood?

·
Registered
662 Posts
LED lights tend to bleed off a lot around the edges regardless of beam pattern. The problem is that the diode is flat so it can't effectively be inserted into the reflector to send more light downrange. The resulting effect of that design characteristic is a bit of flaring from what the optics can't collect and direct. The BDF brackets might be a good solution. Did you take any pictures of how bad the flare is on the hood?
Not Trolling your post, just a question....if above is accurate, how is truck lite making it work?
OP- I think you'll love the fog light mounts! IMHO it's the best placement for them. I get glare off my 50" and that's above the windshield!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
also depends on what A pillar mounts were used. some mounts sit lower and off the the sides more vs sitting up higher an inboard more. I have seen both styles in use. I can tell you the ones that sit out and lower create more glare.

the color of the JK will matter some too..obviously aiming the light will help/ hurt as well.

I ahve the wider beam pattern on mine, and glare is minimal. I'm also using the brackets that Rigid supplies. they mount up higher an inboard.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not Trolling your post, just a question....if above is accurate, how is truck lite making it work?
OP- I think you'll love the fog light mounts! IMHO it's the best placement for them. I get glare off my 50" and that's above the windshield!
Good question- the Trucklights are next on my list... :bounce:

also depends on what A pillar mounts were used. some mounts sit lower and off the the sides more vs sitting up higher an inboard more. I have seen both styles in use. I can tell you the ones that sit out and lower create more glare.

the color of the JK will matter some too..obviously aiming the light will help/ hurt as well.

I ahve the wider beam pattern on mine, and glare is minimal. I'm also using the brackets that Rigid supplies. they mount up higher an inboard.
Yeah that makes sense, and since I have a white JK :eek:

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The old generation trucklites have a really wide optic placed in front of the reflector to catch most of the light. The new generation lights have a parabolic reflector so the diode faces into the reflector and the light bounces off of it which catches even more of the light than the old style. :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've got the D2's on my windshield BDF brackets and get next to no glare at all. What light you get out front of the jeep is way more than the little glare I get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts