JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I, like you, wanted dual batteries. I, like you, like to cut at virgin new sheet metal.
So after figuring where I wanted the bat system I saw that after upgrading my exhaust system I had this HUGE gaping area under the ass of my JK. This combined with that storage area being way to damm small I set to work.

Blessed be thine sawz-all

I found that a 40mm ammo can fits 2 Odysseys PERFECT. so instead of having to fabricate an entire new box from scratch I went and used one box and welded another cut down one to its end to make it as wide as the old storage area. this gives me a nice deep storage "box" next to it. the new storage area is bigger AND I get dual batteries :D
The ammo cans also have a diagonal reinforcement on them and are a decent thickness.

This is as I was tacking it all in place

Oh ya, I figured this would be a rock magnet so it got armor before installation. 3/16 plate bottom and front edge should keep damage to a minimum. I added speed holes to be like the cool kids :grinpimp:

2 batteries, a Hellroaring isolator/combiner, a 500amp fuse and block for the 2ga running to the front, a breaker for the new amps all stuffed in a small package.

I went and tossed some plexiglass on top it just for the heck of it even though I have covered on every pos terminal. its better to be safe than sorry.

all holes are grommited, all wire armored and every connection (besides one ground that I am too lazy to fix) marine grade sealed.

Up front where the old battery was is a distribution block with everything connected there. that space I have not figured out what I want to toss there.

Oh and I ran a plug for when I need to jump start someone :D I will add another to the rear later.

questions, comments, concerns?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Nice work! And good use of the dead space there... (meaning the useless trunk area)

A

·
0 Posts
Nice work. I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Where did you run the 2ga? I was thinking about running mine inside the frame rails.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work. I plan on doing exactly the same thing. Where did you run the 2ga? I was thinking about running mine inside the frame rails.
on top of the passenger frame rail. I was going to run it inside but it would have been a PITA with the spiral loom/protector I have over it.

The location is perfect, with the box being like 9"ish deep it keeps the batteries well protected, the bottom above the lowest point of the bumper and the "side box" makes me have more storage than before.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I like it! Did you provide for drainage or is it perfectly sealed? That damn area for me collects water even when I'm driving in the desert. They should've come self-bailing from the factory.

A

·
0 Posts
on top of the passenger frame rail. I was going to run it inside but it would have been a PITA with the spiral loom/protector I have over it.

The location is perfect, with the box being like 9"ish deep it keeps the batteries well protected, the bottom above the lowest point of the bumper and the "side box" makes me have more storage than before.
The space looks perfect for a ready welder and gloves etc.. I wish I had a money tree :shaking:

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it! Did you provide for drainage or is it perfectly sealed? That damn area for me collects water even when I'm driving in the desert. They should've come self-bailing from the factory.
1/4 holes on the backside bottom and connecting holes for all 3 compartments.

oh and everything is painted and then undercoated.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
That quick connect is also a great way to hook up your winch with an absolute on-off switch.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That quick connect is also a great way to hook up your winch with an absolute on-off switch.
too much of a pain to do as I have remote mounted the relay pack under the hood out of the weather. That would be like another 12 feet of 2ga :laughing:

and its odd but I swear I feel a change in handling. Not in a bad way just a change.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
too much of a pain to do as I have remote mounted the relay pack under the hood out of the weather. That would be like another 12 feet of 2ga :laughing:

and its odd but I swear I feel a change in handling. Not in a bad way just a change.
Just hook the big cables running into the winch to the quick connect with another quick connect. Plug the winch in when you need it, unplug it when you don't. It'll never fire up unasked.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just hook the big cables running into the winch to the quick connect with another quick connect. Plug the winch in when you need it, unplug it when you don't. It'll never fire up unasked.
the solenoid pack is under the hood NOT on the winch any more so I would have to run line from the distribution block to the bumper and the quick connect and then from there back to the solenoid pack..
like I said in MY application it would suck :laughing: now if you had a "normal" winch wiring job it would work well.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey I like that a lot!:) My have been back there for a year. I used 2/0 wire though and I had to pay for a wood storage tub. I like the plug idea, nice and easy. Where did you get it and how much?

You might have noticed the differance becuase of the hundred extra pounds in the rear. Or you alternator might be working overtime because of the 2 guage. It's a long round trip back to the trunk.

I would not think you would notice it under normal load, but the higher the load you put on it the higher the voltage drop. I used 2/0 because of the winch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey I like that a lot!:) My have been back there for a year. I used 2/0 wire though and I had to pay for a wood storage tub. I like the plug idea, nice and easy. Where did you get it and how much?
they are called anderson connectors and can be picked up at any forklift place or ebay. they are universal (there is no male and female)

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
forklift? Well my brother in law fixes and sells forklifts for a living;) Time to get on the phone!
yup, its what they use to connect the batteries on the electric ones. these are the 300 amp size (they are sized by amp) and come in many colors. just make sure you get the housing and the connectors (2 connectors per housing) and dont mess up and insert the connectors into the back of the housing till you are ready and have the right polarity for that slot as they are a PITA to take apart :laughing:

·
Registered
295 Posts
yup, its what they use to connect the batteries on the electric ones. these are the 300 amp size (they are sized by amp) and come in many colors. just make sure you get the housing and the connectors (2 connectors per housing) and dont mess up and insert the connectors into the back of the housing till you are ready and have the right polarity for that slot as they are a PITA to take apart :laughing:
Thanks alot, I really like this idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts