JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting prepared to install a CB radio followed by a 2M soon after. I've been planning a bracket to hold both antennas that will attach to the upper bolts that previously held the tire carrier. I have little experience with the 2M technology and need assistance. How far apart must I keep the CB and the 2M antennas to prevent bleed over? Also, is it best to install springs at the base of the antennas? I don't know if the 2M antennas allow enough flex to prevent damage. Any other tips are always appreciated. Thanks.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
As far apart as you can is best. I have a 2m on the one side of the tire carrier and a scanner antenna on the other, while my CB is on the bumper. I would turn off the other radios if you transmit with the 2m.

Parasitic coupling or the interaction of antennas and nearby structures is a problem but A) not a lot you can do about it on a vehicle and B) the power, even at 50-100 watts on the 2m is still small enough to not cause too much damage.

Again shut off the CB when you transmit on the 2m just to be safe and yes I have springs on all my antennas.

;)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I made a bracket that mounts to the spare tire carrier for my CB and I have a cheapo eBay magnetic place on the cowl just in front of the driver's seat for my 2m. I didn't expect much when I bought it but it works surprisingly well. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts