JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some opinions from everybody on this. I'm getting ready to install a Currie Rock Jock 4" lift and am strongly considering not using the drop pitman arm in the kit and going with a high steer kit from either AEV or Poly Perfomance instead. So, what does everybody think? Would it be worth the extra $300 to $350 for the high steer, or should I just stick with the drop pitman arm in the kit? Since the Currie bracket has to be welded on to the axle, I would rather do the high steer now, before I pay somebody to weld the Currie bracket on.

Thanks,

·
Banned
3,216 Posts
Do the High Steer for sure.

Drop pitman puts more stresses on the system. High steer completley corrects the issue with no additional stress.

MAny on here are very happy witht he results of thier high steer. I know Alec W installed the POly one and his problems went away.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
X2 on the high steer
JK steering boxes are on the weak side and a drop arm puts a lot of extra stress on it
Poly stuff is awesome
I went with Teraflex because of the trackbar bracket brace
Either one requires drilling or reaming your steering knuckle.
Poly uses a tapered reamer to reverse the taper for the draglink, with TF you drill the hole out to 13/16 and hammer in a a tapered sleeve.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I would go with the high steer, I didn't and I am having problems with my steering gear box. My Jeep drives fine but I feel the dropped pitman arm has caused the premature wear on the box

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Everything I've read this is the best solution even though expensive in comparison. This is why I couldn't buy the complete kit from Currie. I like the Arms allot but I like the Highsteer systems of Teraflex and Poly Hence the reason for the hybird lift I've started. everyone had some major advantage that I liked. Granted in the end my system would cost more than buying a complete kit but I'm willing to pay a little extra for the right solution for me. I saved in some areas to make up for the differences. With a 4" lift I believe it is definately needed but I beleive the springs I have are the 3 or 3.5" so it's questionable. Trackbar in the front are pretty close to parrallel.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like it's pretty much unanimous, I was pretty sure this would be the answer when I asked. I think the drop pitman arm is probably an "ok" way to go, but the high steer is the better way. I'd rather spend the money up front and do it right the first time. I got a great deal on the Currie kit, so even with the extra $300 for the high steer kit I'm still below the cost of pretty much all of the other full kits out there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are there particularly better High Steers and others to stay away from? We have a 4” Rough Country Lift on our JKU. Pitman Arm just failed and mechanic replaced it, but I’m concerned as to why it wasn’t replaced when he put on the lift he recommended. We also put on a YetiXD Track Bar and a dual stabilizer a week ago to fix a remaining wobble occasional wobble. Though there should have been a new track bar as part of the lift, or that has been my understanding. Our mechanic told me that there is no need for a sector shaft brace saying that Rough Country takes care of all the that (meaning the concerns I have with the steering control and future damage to the components), but obviously not if our pitman just failed... and if our pitman was weakening, why hadn’t he noticed? We’ve complained about the loose steering many times and we’re told it’s the Jeep’s nature. I’ve lost confidence in him. I’m thinking we should look towards this high steering as the new way to go. I am tired of feeling like I may die at any moment.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Are there particularly better High Steers and others to stay away from? We have a 4” Rough Country Lift on our JKU. Pitman Arm just failed and mechanic replaced it, but I’m concerned as to why it wasn’t replaced when he put on the lift he recommended. We also put on a YetiXD Track Bar and a dual stabilizer a week ago to fix a remaining wobble occasional wobble. Though there should have been a new track bar as part of the lift, or that has been my understanding. Our mechanic told me that there is no need for a sector shaft brace saying that Rough Country takes care of all the that (meaning the concerns I have with the steering control and future damage to the components), but obviously not if our pitman just failed... and if our pitman was weakening, why hadn’t he noticed? We’ve complained about the loose steering many times and we’re told it’s the Jeep’s nature. I’ve lost confidence in him. I’m thinking we should look towards this high steering as the new way to go. I am tired of feeling like I may die at any moment.
It is not in a jeep's nature to have a steering wobble. Steering stabilizers don't fix anything, they mask the problems.
Although I strongly recommended you google the Youtubes for "Planman JK steering fix" or "planman 4x4 JK Death wobble", commonly the problem starts with the stock track bar bolt. The hole/bushing are (iirc) *9/16". The bolt that is stock (and is in many kits) is a * 14 mm non-shouldered bolt. This means that the threads are smaller than the hole and act like a file, allowing the hole to oval out over time. There's a variety of fixes, weld washers, larger bolts...but do yourself a favor and watch what Planman has to say. He's clear, interesting and correct.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.