JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know of any after market, dry air filters? I have looked at AFE, AEM, but no luck. I do not want one that uses oil.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
not sure what you have against oil air filters... I've probably put on over 150K miles on two other vehicles with them on. I even had one in the jeep for about 5 months.

Never had an issue with it.

Good luck on your search for a dry filter...

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've run K&N filters in everyhting with wheels for several years, no problems at all. If you think about it, the buying public decides what products live and die. If the K&N filters were ruining motors, they would no longer be around.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've run K&N filters in everyhting with wheels for several years, no problems at all. If you think about it, the buying public decides what products live and die. If the K&N filters were ruining motors, they would no longer be around.
What he said

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
The True Flow XDi air intake uses a dry filter that looks pretty nice.Looks to have good protestion from elements/ water. Have yet to hear any feedback from anyone that is actually using it. Not cheap at about $340.

·
Registered
783 Posts
The XDI actually uses a oiled foam filter, I checked into them already. The only dry filters I've seen are the ones in AEM's kits and AFE's kits. No drop ins available from what i've seen though.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
My bad...Didnt think you could oil a foam element w/ o it deteriorating/ breaking down. I always hated cleaning my oiled AFE in my TJ. The oily residue was a PITA when it got all over the driveway, etc...Must be a more efficient way to clean those than the way I was doing it.

·
Registered
783 Posts
S&B's filters always looked fairly easy to oil. they give you a applicator that allows you to put just the right amount of oil on it and not to much. I don't know about cleaning it though, I imagine its just like any other oiled filter. I'm curious as to weather Volant has a Powercore filter for their CAI for our jeeps yet. Thats a disposable filter made by Donaldson (very good filter company) that filters very well and lasts about 100,000miles before needing replaced.

Another option is to make up a CAI and use Amsoil's new Nano filters. They use the same material as Volant's power core filters, but they are a traditional cone type filter, and its reusable, just blow it out with low press. shop air. Only drop in filters I've found for our jeeps though are K&N and a STP factory style replacement.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use AEM brute force works great.

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you think about it, the buying public decides what products live and die. If the K&N filters were ruining motors, they would no longer be around.
Cigarettes are still around...

I don't think there will be any aftermarket JK filters until Chrysler's contract period (exclusivity clause) expires. Then you'll see a $5 Purolator.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Cigarettes are still around...

I don't think there will be any aftermarket JK filters until Chrysler's contract period (exclusivity clause) expires. Then you'll see a $5 Purolator.
True, cigarettes are still around. I smoke them. I know they are bad for my health. But I enjoy it. My choice.
No one will ever say I know brand x air filter is bad for my motor, but I don't care. People tend to take better care of their possessions than their own health. McDonalds is still around. So is ice cream. Both are proven to be bad for you. Damn, I'm hungry now:D And I need a smoke:smokin:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that there was a drop in like the K&N, but without oil since I do not like the idea of introducing oil to my sensor. I sent AEM an e-mail, and I will let you know what they say when/if they respond. I would just keep the OEM one, but was hoping to find a reusable one since I wheel in a lot of dusty places and the OEM ones start to add up after a while.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that there was a drop in like the K&N, but without oil since I do not like the idea of introducing oil to my sensor. I sent AEM an e-mail, and I will let you know what they say when/if they respond. I would just keep the OEM one, but was hoping to find a reusable one since I wheel in a lot of dusty places and the OEM ones start to add up after a while.
You can extend the life of your OEM filters, first by lightly tapping the surround on your garage floor while holding the filter dirty side down. Or hold it in your hand and tap with something. This will knock out the loose stuff. Then using an airhose you can blow out the filter from the clean (motor) side. Always blow in the reverse direction of the normal flow. This was a procedure taught to the mechanics at a national tuneup chain I worked at in another life. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, I will give it a shot!

·
Registered
630 Posts
if you are properly oiling your filter you are not introducing ANY oil to your sensors. Walking down the hallway holding the air filter more air passes through the filter at a faster speed then when it is installed in the jeep and the jeep is running.

·
Registered
660 Posts
if you are properly oiling your filter you are not introducing ANY oil to your sensors. Walking down the hallway holding the air filter more air passes through the filter at a faster speed then when it is installed in the jeep and the jeep is running.
x2. The original oiling lasts for 50,000 miles or until needed to clean. So when the need arrises, just don't over oil.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I will just stay with the stock box and filter for now. Thanks for the replies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts