JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious what happens if someone were to drive a JK without a speed reference on one or both axles? I have heard mixed things and would like to hear from someone who has done this for at least 1 mile. Someone called me last week claiming he put 1 ton axles in without tone rings and it drove. others told me they read that the vehicle will not drive properly or at all. Last week I did a brake job on my wifes 06 300c awd and I used a wire wheel to clean off the hubs where the rotors mount on them. I believe the metal dust was attracted to the magnetic sensors of the 300 which are not tone rings and the car drove for about 1/4 mile then it seemed to me like I blew up the transmission since the engine would rev and the tach would raise up like it was in neutral.
it also threw the engine light on. I hooked up my starscan and pulled three codes, LF implausible speed signal, RF Implausible speed signal and incorrect gear ratio. I cleared the codes and the car drives fine. I know the JK will drive in and out of the shop with no speed sensors connected but I am curious what happens out on the road

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
i was trying to program the gear/ tire ratio with a programmer on my jeep awhile ago and put it the wrong numbers and when i went to drive it the speedo didnt move at all .. it seemed to run fine .. except from what i remember it showed i was out of gas but i wasnt ? and the mileage didnt increase.. i drove about 15 miles like that.. before i could reprogram it correctly.. not sure if it is any help to what you are asking..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
it should "drive" but shift points may be screwed up and MPH not working.
Its not hard to toss one or more tone rings in there either on axle or off the T-case output.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it should "drive" but shift points may be screwed up and MPH not working.
Its not hard to toss one or more tone rings in there either on axle or off the T-case output.

I get calls from time to time with people wanting to put full width full floating axles in and not pay the big cost of prefabricated axles I know there are tone rings available for several full size axles.

it was unexpected last week for my wife's car to pretty much stop dead in the water from lack of both front wheel speed sensors
at least that is what I think happened but the 300c is a completely different animal

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I drove for months without a single sensor on any wheel and it ran fine. The shift points were still on and obviously I didn't have a speedo. I now only have the rear sensors and the speedo is spot on.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I get calls from time to time with people wanting to put full width full floating axles in and not pay the big cost of prefabricated axles I know there are tone rings available for several full size axles.

it was unexpected last week for my wife's car to pretty much stop dead in the water from lack of both front wheel speed sensors
at least that is what I think happened but the 300c is a completely different animal
I am surprised no one has done the simple math and done a disk type tone ring for off the T-case output based on "stock" gears and tires.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe I used the wrong terminology
I was referring to the losing the reference at the wheels ABS sensors not a reluctor ring.
after speaking to a Chrysler tech friend he thinks my wife's car possibly situation is that it acted that it may have been in an accident with the wheels possibly in the air so it went into a prevent a roll over type scenario with the electronic stability system.He said with the MDS it can shut off cylinders. But it sound like redx08 has answered my question.
thank you

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have f 250 sd axles under mine. No sensors, works fine so far. I've got about 30 street miles on it.

No speedo though which isn't a big deal. I just used my I phone app to get to 50mph. The tach is at 2200rpm. I don't go much faster on 42's and full hydro.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.