JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've heard of some people getting hassled for not having the driver's side mirror. Just depends on the law in your State.

·
Registered
169 Posts
driving with the doors off is awsome, however if your like me at all you will hate driving without side mirrors unless you already relocated them. my relocation brackets will be on order very soon, untill then i will probably leave the doors on for the time being

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
QUESTION: Is it legal to drive on public streets and highways with the doors removed?
Been a little debate about this in PA lately. The way the inspection code reads, if your vehicle came with doors, they have to be on the vehicle when it's inspected, and since you're expected to maintain all inspection standards while driving, it's technically illegal to drive without doors.

I know a guy in the local DA's office, and he recommended leaving the doors on, but that could be because he's seen how I drive.:laughing:

That being said, my entire family are Jeeple, and not one of us has ever been pulled over for going doorless.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i even drive on base with the top and doors off. the airman at the gate just look at me funny then check my id and let me go on to work. i think those guys are confused anyway. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to stop at a cop shop and ask the person at the desk. You could also check the vehicle code for your state and attempt to muddle through their jargon to figure it out. You can try it from this link. I'd expect that you'd get more attention for lack of mirrors than doors.

Maybe if you put UPS or FedEx on the side of your Jeep, no one would notice. ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
in texas it is only required to have 1 rear facing mirror so i go topless and doorless but it does suck not having the side mirrors

·
Registered
100 Posts
in texas it is only required to have 1 rear facing mirror so i go topless and doorless but it does suck not having the side mirrors
Pretty sure it's the same here in RI. I've run doorless quite a bit in the last 2 years and never been pulled over. I just recently did the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation kit because it was given to me an an X-mas gift. Works decent. But with the doors back on the passenger's side mirror is almost useless. BUt at least i won't get stopped for not having mirrors in another state.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah but you can always get the mirror kits or something similar and mount them. I liked the motorcycle mirror mod... Where ya just mount the harley mirrors in the door mounts. Works and makes ya legal.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Yeah but you can always get the mirror kits or something similar and mount them. I liked the motorcycle mirror mod... Where ya just mount the harley mirrors in the door mounts. Works and makes ya legal.
Only one rear mirror is required in PA, but I snagged some harley mirrors on the cheap, so I figured WTH?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Harley mirrors work like a champ! Several styles/finishes to choose from and they screw right into the upper hinge hole. Just be sure to either get just a drivers side or pick up the longer ones. The pass side shorties can't be seen from the drivers seat. :beer:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Unless it's mid-50 degrees, raining and your 7/8 hour ride to Pittsburgh from Chicago turns into an 11 hour ride without a rain suit. At least the Jeep has heat.
Ah- been there! Started out in 75 degrees, the return trip had a front move thru. Torrential rain, 50 degree, no rain suit. Had to stop at Walmart and buy new clothes, jackets, boots, thermals, gloves... And then it started friggin snowing! 6 hour ride home took 11 hours

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ah- been there! Started out in 75 degrees, the return trip had a front move thru. Torrential rain, 50 degree, no rain suit. Had to stop at Walmart and buy new clothes, jackets, boots, thermals, gloves... And then it started friggin snowing! 6 hour ride home took 11 hours
Yeow. We both have the luck. At least the last time I rode to Pittsburgh it didn't rain at all. That was first time of the last 3 that it didn't. Then I had a freaking sweet sunburn to deal with, haha. :beer:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts