JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some insight on driving lights vs fog lamps.

I am about to order the Shrockworks Stubby bumper & want to add back in the lighting that I am going to loose when I dump the factory fogs.

I am thinking of something no bigger than 4", since the 6" ones seem to partialy block the turnsignal, when mounted on the Shrockworks Stubby bumper.

I see driving lights & Fogs out there - what is the difference??? Whats a good set to buy without dumping a ton of additional $$$?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I just got the Schrockworks stubby. I added some lights and wasn't sure which way to go. I ended up getting some PIAA 520 fogs. I don't know if I made the right descision.

It all really depends on how you use your Jeep. Driving lights are nice on the road and for seeing farther then the stock lights but the beam is very narrow. Fogs are usually better for offroad since the beam is wide and lights up the sides better.

I got the 520 series: http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/520.html but I do not remember exactly what model. They have a yellow beam

I can really see a difference in foul weather and I am surprised how much it lights up on the sides when out on a dark forest road.

I wish now I would have gone with the new PIAA 520 series ATP lamp.
http://www.atvillustrated.com/?q=node/996
It is supposed to still have a wide beam to light th sides of a trail but also a lot of up and down range. Also, the lense is not purple and yellow!:smokin:

·
Registered
749 Posts
I have the Hella Pencil Beam,...if I had to do it again I would definitely go Fog.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
A lot depends on what you want the lamps for.

Fog Lamps - Fog lamps should be mounted as low as possible to prevent the light bouncing back and allow you to see "under" the fog. They are designed specifically for inclement weather conditions, and are of little use for regular highway driving in normal conditions. However, when mounted high on a vehicle, they can make a good off road light source, as they illuminate the area close to the vehicle very well, which is useful when moving slow.

Driving Lamps - Driving lamps make a good all round lamp for both on road and off road use. They illuminate reasonably well into the distance and also provide a good spread. If only one set of lamps will be installed, and fog lamps are not required in your area, then driving lamps are the obvious choice.

Spot/Pencil Lamps - Spot lamps are ideal for highway driving as they move your focus far ahead of the vehicle. They can be useful on the trail when looking far ahead, especially when moving fast, but their primary use is for freeway driving.

PIAA make great lamps, but for you pay for them. The new ProComp lamps are not bad, Delta make some good value lamps also.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I use some Delta 800H drivings lamps. they say they are 8" lamp, but they are in fact just over 7".

They do have a "city light" which I like, this is a small bulb in the side of the housing which I use as a DRL. You can't really see them that much in bright sun light, but when it is cloudy/overcast/dusk/etc they work well.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think I'm goin to use either one, as in the past they seem to get broken before I ever get a chance to use them. :shaking:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use some Delta 800H drivings lamps. they say they are 8" lamp, but they are in fact just over 7".

They do have a "city light" which I like, this is a small bulb in the side of the housing which I use as a DRL. You can't really see them that much in bright sun light, but when it is cloudy/overcast/dusk/etc they work well.

PhilD... are you really showing your fog lights?!?!?:thefinger:;)
Great shot:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts