JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just got my jeep a few months ago, and since summer is coming up I wanna take my doors off. Just wondering what the street laws are about having no doors. I know you have to have side mirrors. Any other advice? (First time jeep owner, but I am loving it!):bounce:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is legal to drive on the road without doors as long as you have the required mirrors ... isnt it?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Never heard of any law on doors. I've been told most states have a 2 mirror rule, rearview and passenger sideview, or driver and passenger sideview. I've never been pulled over for not having sideview mirrors but I've only driven old trucks which may not apply due to age (built before any laws on mirrors). It's a good question you can google your states driving codes and probably find out.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
By the looks of it as long as you can see with the rearview you don't need any sideview.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
every state is different. some have laws requiring doors... unless the vehicle was sold without doors or the doors were removable as designed by the manufacturer. i've been through them a few times.

GA used to have a law that mentioned doors were required, but it was rewritten several years ago and that was taken out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Here in Ontario, Canada the law requires all motor vehicles be equiped with both a left and a right outside mirror as well as an rearview mirror inside the vehicle. As in many US States, if the vehicle is/was designed by the manufacturer to be operated without doors, then no doors is ok as long as the outside mirrors are in place.

Since Jeep started mountng the outside mirrors on the doors, driving without doors has decreased in popularity.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
(I think) In GA we only have to have 1 mirror with clear view of a certain distance behind us. I rode around doorless many times in the 2 door and not having a driver side mirror sucked. Now with half doors on the 4 door I can have a taste of both worlds and keep my mirrors :grinpimp:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I read stories about people in Pennsylvania having problems with the no-door thing, but thats the only place I've heard of this sort of problem. I know come summer my doors are coming off most ricky-tick! :D

·
Registered
irate4x4 dot com
1,795 Posts
By the looks of it as long as you can see with the rearview you don't need any sideview.
without reading the code and seeing if there were any changes, in MS, having the single rear view is acceptable.

personally, I want mirrors when the doors are off on the unlimited. I don't remember minding it with my YJ, but either I'm older, have the kids or simply don't feel I can see as well without adding mirrors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.