JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with the stock drive shafts failing? I mean actual experience yourself. After 3 times through the Rubicon Trail and a 7 day trip through Baja, driving the Unlimited Rubi from Sacramento, thru Baja, to Yuma and back I haven't. However 3 or 4 more trips thru the Rubicon, Barret Lake, Sierra Trek etc are planned this summer and I don't want to find out the hard way. I have some good, strong unused CV joint shafts left from selling my previous ride and was thinking of building some stronger shafts with them for the JK. Waste of time and money or prudent move?

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Michael W will probably chime in here.

If I have this correct, he was running stock shafts as an expirement for Nth. Even though Nth is gone, I belive he is still on his stock shafts "til they grenade". :laughing:

He has a 4 dr and I think a 4" or 5" lift. Sounds like he has hit the trails quite a few times and pullin road duty. Last I heard they where showing wear but not looking too bad, although he does have the replacments ready to go :grinpimp:

and just to add my 2 cents, Sounds like you ride some pretty long trails and do it pretty often. I think if shafts with that lift are not on top of your list they should be at least up there. Maybe lower on the list if you where rarley off road and not so far out...

A

·
0 Posts
PhilD will probably chime in here.
Phil has JE REEL drive shafts. I think MichaelW is running the Nth lift with stock shafts.

BTW if anyone in the Denver area needs almost new (200 miles) 4 door drive shafts I have some for cheap :D

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Phil has JE REEL drive shafts. I think MichaelW is running the Nth lift with stock shafts.

BTW if anyone in the Denver area needs almost new (200 miles) 4 door drive shafts I have some for cheap :D
Oops, you're right, thats who I was thinkin of, damn beers :beer::beer: :D

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
If you have an auto, there is a good chance that the front shaft boot will catch on the tranny pan. I've seen this happen, and heard of a few other instances of it too. I've heard of a few instances of CV failure on the stock ones, but not many, usually caused by the boot at the CV getting ripped from the angle and dirt getting in.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Michael W will probably chime in here.

If I have this correct, he was running stock shafts as an expirement for Nth. Even though Nth is gone, I belive he is still on his stock shafts "til they grenade". :laughing:

He has a 4 dr and I think a 4" or 5" lift. Sounds like he has hit the trails quite a few times and pullin road duty. Last I heard they where showing wear but not looking too bad, although he does have the replacments ready to go :grinpimp:...

I met Michael on the Rubicon on one of the trips through. Great guy! He has done quiet a bit of thoughtful mods to his Unlimited, including a super charger. Everything he does seems to have been done right and I understand he runs gnarly things often. So if his original shafts are still living under there, they can't be all bad. But maybe they finally "grenaded" I'm just hesitant to "fix" something unless it has a history of getting broken. The JK Rubi's driveshafts have a different-looking CV joint than I'm familiar with, so I don't know how much angle it will live with or how much abuse it will take. When I changed the gears inside the diffs, I was impressed with how stout everything was. If the same engineering team was on the driveshafts I hope they gave them equal margins of strength and durability.
Phil, your post just came in about the boot being torn up while I was writing this. Thanks! Yup, mine's gone, went the first trip thru the Rubicon. I'll check that CV to see if it's getting degraded by stuff getting in. Maybe more clearance can be had and/or a custom boot can be fabbed that will last longer and protect the CV.
Added later: I was mistaken about the boot being gone. Took the front shaft off last night and discovered that the boot Phil must have been referring to is most likely the small rubber boot on the CV joint itself. It's fine. My boogered one is the one protecting the slip splines. After taking the stamped cover off the end of the CV joint, I'm seeing 8 ball bearings in recessesses to form the CV joint. No apparant wear or looseness. I don't know how stout this is compared to the CV joints Reel, Tom Woods and Sacramento Driveshaft supplies. With only 3 1/2" of lift, they seem to have enough flex and no bind. Guess I'll stick with these until they either go or I hear about others losing them. I have no clue how to rebuild them other than to replace the whole shebang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts