JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to order the drivelines for my build.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63674

It will get the 1350 treatment but I'm curious what you guys are running for tubing front and rear.

My previous experience was all heavy wall but I want to be able to drive 100MPH in this Jeep so I guess I need to thin it out a bit :gluging:

Tatton advised the following:

- Front: 2" x .120 wall
- Rear: 3" x .083 wall

I am concerned about the .083" seems like it would not mix with my wheeling style too well.

Anyone have a rear shaft spec that they would recommend? (going on a Hemi 4 door with 60's)

I was thinking 2.5" x .120 or 3" x .120

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
515 Posts
We run .120 on most things here, I would never step down to .083, that's really thin IMO regardless of the OD. If you wheel a lot and the driveshaft has the opportunity to come in contact with rocks I would consider jumping to .188. You'll need to find a very good driveshaft guy in order to be able to drive at 100mph though cause they get difficult to balance at that point.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Now that I think about it some more you may want to look into chromoly tubes, they're a little bit stronger and you can run a slightly thinner wall giving you strength but the ability to balance it well.
Also depending on your lift and 60's you may not be able to run a big tube in the rear cause the track bar will swing the driveshaft into the gas tank on droop. Standard rear shaft is 2ish" .120

·
Registered
515 Posts
I only had it happen on one JK which was a 4 Door with a HP60 rear, on the lift it swung over and when the driver side drooped all the way while the passenger was at full stuff it would touch.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I run 2" .120 wall front and 3" .250 wall rear no issues at 48K

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.