JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have upgraded my drivelines with REEL shafts. However, I was thinking that I should keep the other ones for spares on the trail, no, not to continue to wheel with, rather just to get out. I have my Jeep lifted 4.5". Anythoghts or issues you can think of?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Depends on which shafts you upgraded to. If you have the 1310OE ones, then carrying the factory ones as spares is not a bad idea. If you changed the flanges to yokes, then a field swap is not exactly going to be easy, and carrying some spare UJ's is a better idea.

I have the 1310OE shafts and carry the stock ones as spares along with a couple of 1310 UJ's. I would continue to wheel with the factory shafts, plenty of people do. If you have an auto, you will likely lose the boot off the front one soon enough, but it will still allow you to enjoy wheelin' for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Like Phil said, depends on what shafts you installed. If you have replaced any of the flanges at either the t-case or the diff's an off road swap to the stock shafts would be a challenge. That big 1 1/4 nut would be a challenge unless have ample air and carry a good impact. You could always buy a second set, cheap insurance if you ever need one.

I'm in the process of installing the early production Reel 1350's that bolt up to stock flange at the diff's and replace the flanges at the t-case. In my case I have to hope just the joint fails, these shafts are not in production any more. My grand plan was to get on the road quickly without gambling on getting the pinions adjusted improperly while I replaced the flanges at the diff's. Flanges are now standard on both ends of the 1350 series. In my case, when time comes to re-gear, I will replace the diff ends of my current shafts with the new flanged ends. I may have to get them a little longer then current production to span the difference in length between the OEM yoke and the current production off the shelf flange mount.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts