JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new Tatton front drive shaft. This photo is at rest on level ground. How much exposed shaft splines should there be? It appears the splines could come completely out at full articulation. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I think that looks a bit over-stretched. Did you measure the necessary length (flange-to-flange) before ordering, or is that a pre-determined length? Mark W.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a pre-determined length. I'm just concerned with so little spline engagement it may cause vibrations.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I just installed a new Tatton front drive shaft. This photo is at rest on level ground. How much exposed shaft splines should there be? It appears the splines could come completely out at full articulation. What do you guys think?

Hmm, I wonder if you got one for a Rubicon. If Im not mistaken, the D44 has a longer snout than the D30. Only thing I can think of that would explain why the predetermined d-shaft length for your build is too short.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Yeah. You definitely need a shorter shaft. Going down the road, you'll be fine, but wheeling, you'd probably come apart. Not worth the risk. Call them and see if they'd swap you out to something a bit shorter- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
^ Oh, yeah. That too :) My bad :) Every man wants a longer shaft, OP, but you NEED one! :) Thanks for catching that, man! Mark W.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
It was a pre-determined length. I'm just concerned with so little spline engagement it may cause vibrations.

That Tatton's have 7" of spline. There's about 3" exposed so you should have anothher 4" till it falls out....give or take. That, honestly is fine.

3" to contract
4" to extend

Whats wrong with that? :beer:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Drop the shaft and pull it apart. How much of the spline area is still inside to the left vs the amount of exposed spline.

Did you notice the blurb in their ads?
PHP:
THE LONG 7" FULL CONTACT SLIP AND SPLINE, NOT THE CHEAP 3" SPLINE ON THE END.
Sooo, guessing there is another 3.5-4" of spline not visible. You're fine.

Doh, you beat me to it.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
Drop the shaft and pull it apart. How much of the spline area is still inside to the left vs the amount of exposed spline.

Did you notice the blurb in their ads?
PHP:
THE LONG 7" FULL CONTACT SLIP AND SPLINE, NOT THE CHEAP 3" SPLINE ON THE END.
Sooo, guessing there is another 3.5-4" of spline not visible. You're fine.

Doh, you beat me to it.
The Slip is 7". The Slip of a drive shaft is the female end. You should really pull it apart and see how much spline is left on the male end. I doubt it's 3.5-4".
Plus remember that the more overlap you have, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
So how long of a spline is a good length? Should you be at about 1/2 length when on regular ground?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
The Slip is 7". The Slip of a drive shaft is the female end. You should really pull it apart and see how much spline is left on the male end. I doubt it's 3.5-4".
Plus remember that the more overlap you have, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock...
So lets say its 7" of spline.....how much should be exposed at drive height? Bout 3" right? :D

Sent via Telegraph.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
So how long of a spline is a good length? Should you be at about 1/2 length when on regular ground?
Mine only have about 1.5" exposed at ride height. There is no need to have 3" exposed because you will never compress that much of the shaft.
The more overlap, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock. Simple as that.
If you want to run it, go ahead. Just don't cry about it when it bends and starts vibrating. ;)

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,653 Posts
I got an email about this one and from the pictures without measurements I gathered that it was too short.

Jusding by how much slip is there looks like a safe bet to me, although I do agree with co4lo about more double length would be stronger.

Gonna dig into this further for you tomorrow!

Marcus

Sent from my cellular communication device.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Mine only have about 1.5" exposed at ride height. There is no need to have 3" exposed because you will never compress that much of the shaft.
The more overlap, the stronger it is when you rest it on a rock. Simple as that.
If you want to run it, go ahead. Just don't cry about it when it bends and starts vibrating. ;)
How long are the splines on your shaft though.....driveshaft that is... :beer:

Not arguing about the "more contact is stronger" just saying that you can have more travel with a longer splined driveshaft

·
Registered
3,115 Posts

Not arguing about the "more contact is stronger" just saying that you can have more travel with a longer splined driveshaft

Also....what happens when your DS is too short? Typically transfer cases dont like it......just saying. :innocent::beer:

·
Registered
5,305 Posts

Mine are 7" slip and spline. And you can't change the travel with a longer splined shaft. The "'travel" is controlled by your suspension. The key is to make sure your driveshaft doesn't pull apart or completely compress.

Also....what happens when your DS is too short? Typically transfer cases dont like it......just saying. :innocent::beer:
Transfer cases don't care if it's too short because when it pulls apart, the t-case will be completely relieved of it's duties. :thefinger:

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Transfer cases don't care if it's too short because when it pulls apart, the t-case will be completely relieved of it's duties. :thefinger:
That was suppose to be "too long" :shaking:

Damn long drives in the rain....got my brain all fuzzy. Im going to bed :thefinger:

And you're right the Tcase doesnt work well if there's no driveshaft attached. :beer:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts