JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
You could rent or buy a Tie Rod End removal tool like this one:

Or you can do what I do...get a 5 lb brass hammer and just beat on the pitman arm/knuckle a half dozen times and it should just pop off. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect, thanks. I figured there was a puller or the BFH method but couldn't find a clear answer.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love a good hammer, but that exact puller is not too expensive and you will use it plenty of times.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
I'd not spend the money. It is a tapered hole and all that is needed is a few hits from a hammer to pop it loose. Plus... if you are on the trail and need to do this, one hammer gets a lot of jobs done... having a bunch of pullers makes for a heavy load of shit you'll probably never need.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One note about the BFH method (which I've used a bunch): don't beat on the threads of the rod end. You'll damage them. If you feel you want to drive the end out from the top, thread the nut on the end and beat on that.

The best way, however, is to land the blows on the knuckle itself perpendicular to the rod end. That is, swing the BFH horizontally and hit the knuckle.

This might be obvious stuff, but just to be clear about it....

-Randy

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
One note about the BFH method (which I've used a bunch): don't beat on the threads of the rod end. You'll damage them. If you feel you want to drive the end out from the top, thread the nut on the end and beat on that.

The best way, however, is to land the blows on the knuckle itself perpendicular to the rod end. That is, swing the BFH horizontally and hit the knuckle.

This might be obvious stuff, but just to be clear about it....

-Randy
That's what I was hoping that I implied in my original post, but thanks for clarifying that. :beer:

·
Registered
5,199 Posts

X2 Often using two hammers, one on each side of the knuckle, at the same time will make it an easy task.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts