JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess only for the snow regions. LEDs produce no heat so they build up with snow and ice while driving and restrict light. A dangerous situation to say the least. As much as I love my LED spots I will be sticking with regular quartz headlamps.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Yep, I found that out when I ran them for awhile as well.

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The plus side of running LED's in super cold environments is that they work more efficiently the colder they get. We see a higher luminousity from the CREE LEDs we use in our display case lights in the frozen food cases where I work. Small and interesting fact. As far as snow and ice, yep, found that out with my Rigid's when I went wheeling in the snow. All of a sudden the light seemed dim and thought I lost a couple of diodes until I stopped and realized they were fouled with muddy snow and had to clear them manually.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
430 Posts
what temps are they rated for, up here in Northwestern Ontario it can hit as low as -40 without windchill, even colder in other places like Winnepeg and Saskatchewan

snow and ice covered lights are the last thing you need when theres only daylight in the winter months from 9 am to 5 pm

·
Registered
315 Posts
LED traffic lights have the same icing issue. The issue was resolved by engineering heating elements into the traffic light housing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Well that's bad news for winter. Are there any models that are warm enough not to have this problem? Maybe a switch or plug to unplug during the summer, and plug in to warm then in winter?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
568 Posts
I live with snow and ice half the year at 9000ft in a ski resort town. I have JW Speaker headlamps and six auxillary LED light bars from VisionX and Rigid. I will tell you this so called issue is a myth. Never had ice build up on any of these fixtures. All these LED lights have heat sinks and cooling fins.....it's because they do indeed get hot. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I live with snow and ice half the year at 9000ft in a ski resort town. I have JW Speaker headlamps and six auxillary LED light bars from VisionX and Rigid. I will tell you this so called issue is a myth. Never had ice build up on any of these fixtures. All these LED lights have heat sinks and cooling fins.....it's because they do indeed get hot. Ignorance is bliss I guess.
My Hamsar 1900 lumen LED spots iced over in -20 not a myth, thats why I questioned the use of LED for headlights... Good to know that some get warm enough, mine don't.. How cold does it get there?

·
Registered
568 Posts
My Hamsar 1900 lumen LED spots iced over in -20 not a myth, thats why I questioned the use of LED for headlights... Good to know that some get warm enough, mine don't.. How cold does it get there?
It's the circuitry, not the LED itself, that generates excessive heat. Read more about powerful auto LEDs and you'll see the challenge is to dissipate the heat generated, not retain it. We had -50 deg F in some of the passes the winter before last, but -20's are the typical Jan-Feb lows. We're no strangers to snow-pack around here:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's the circuitry, not the LED itself, that generates excessive heat. We had -50 deg F in some of the passes the winter before last, but -20's are the typical Jan-Feb lows. Read more about powerful auto LEDs and you'll see the challenge is to dissipate the heat generated, not retain it.
Possibly the reason these Hamsar worklights are expensive. Evidently they dissipate the heat out the back pretty good. They do not warm up enough up front to melt ice/snow off the lens..

·
Registered
568 Posts
Possibly the reason these Hamsar worklights are expensive. Evidently they dissipate the heat out the back pretty good. They do not warm up enough up front to melt ice/snow off the lens..
Likely so. I know their XWL800/810 series have cooling fins along the back surface, much like the other brands, but I doubt these would not have some warmth at the front lens.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Likely so. I know their XWL800/810 series have cooling fins along the back surface, much like the other brands, but I doubt these would not have some warmth at the front lens.
Yup those are the ones. 6 - XWL800/HO 2 spots and 4 Hybrids..

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I run Rigid LED's for my fogs... I run them as my daytime lights and never have an issue of them icing up. I'm sure everyone using the VisionX solos for fogs wouldn't have any problem

·
Registered
568 Posts
I run Rigid LED's for my fogs... I run them as my daytime lights and never have an issue of them icing up. I'm sure everyone using the VisionX solos for fogs wouldn't have any problem
I did have a problem with the Solos getting moisture/condensation inside. Maybe bad seals or my high elevation, but I switched to Rigid Duallys and no issues since. Neither had icing issues.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Whould it not just be easier to install a couple of spray nozzles and a washer pump to spray de-ice washer fluid on the headlights instead of finding reasons NOT to run LEDs?
$20 and now you can hose the mud off them too :D

wrap the line around the radiator hose a few times before the nozzles and now they are HEATED washers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts