JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have this prob................ I B drivin bout 60 on the paved road (highway) with cruz contrl on and if I start up a small incline or for gods sakes a overpass in the near future the tranny downshifts and up go the revvs. Maybe its just this gutless v6. Coments please!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Maybe its just this gutless v6. Coments please!
that would be the answer
if you have bigger tires, regearing will help
but short of a supercharger or better yet a hemi, not much else to be done

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey venom...............I put some 33x12.50 hankook MTs 2" lift. 373s limited slip.........How expensive is regearing and what ratio should i go 2?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Generally regearing runs about $1200 parts and labor. And what ratio to get depends on how big you plan on going with your tires. If you don't plan on going any bigger than 33s for a while a better option would be a Hypertech programmer, adds a bit of HP and you can program it to the correct tire size. If you haven't adjusted your speedo, with 33s, you're currently off and that could impact the shift points.

Another option could be the new Superchips Flashpac, as it adds a touch of HP too.

For a couple hundred bucks it should give you just enough of a boost to even out your 33s. I ran 33s for several thousand miles before going to 37s and with the Hypertech, found that it drove very nicely (auto here too). It wasn't until I went to 37s that I suffered from the downshifting. When I had everything done to my JK, gears were on backorder then and I got to drive it for 3 weeks with 4.10s, 37s, new bumpers, etc. and it was a dog.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
that would be the answer
if you have bigger tires, regearing will help
but short of a supercharger or better yet a hemi, not much else to be done
X2 on that statement:smokin:

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
hey venom...............I put some 33x12.50 hankook MTs 2" lift. 373s limited slip.........How expensive is regearing and what ratio should i go 2?
3.73s explain the problem, my rubi with 4.10s and 32"s from the factory didnt like west texas hills and overdrive.

Like has already been said, your looking at $1200-$1500 to regear (~$500-600 for gears and install kits and about the same for labor), so figure how big of tire you're gonna be eventually running and just do it once.
If you're shooting for 35"s figure on 5.13s, 37"s or more, I'd look at 5.13 or even 5.38s.
If youre gonna stick with 33"s, then 4.10s out of a rubi or or 4.88s

Personally I'm running 35"s with 5.13s and kinda wish I had gone with 5.38's.
If you want a set of 4.10s, let me know and I'll sell ya my factory gears cheap.

A programmer will help out with a couple of HP and recalibrate your speedo for the tires and reset your shift points for the bigger tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Does anyone have this prob................ I B drivin bout 60 on the paved road (highway) with cruz contrl on and if I start up a small incline or for gods sakes a overpass in the near future the tranny downshifts and up go the revvs. Maybe its just this gutless v6. Coments please!
Yep mine does the same. First thing I do when I start it is take it out of OD.I only use it going down hill, its not worth a crap.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welcom to the world of automatics. LOL

Thats why i wont buy a vehicle with options. (power win/locks ,cruise) To me they Arnt worth the $. I like the bare bones vehicles . Less to break! MY wife on the other hand has to have all the finer things in life. (power every thing and she has a sky slider roof in her liberty)

My work van has cruise and so did her kia and now her liberty. Every slight incline damn automatics shift of out gear. It is nice having a manual as to where I control the shifts!

Id just bought a bare X with 3.73's and have been adding mods as i go. I must say ading the factory front tow hooks was a SOB with having to cut on the front bumper.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Many times people mistake the torque converter unlocking for an actual transmission shift,and that is what they are supposed to do.:smokin:

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
The larger tires and loss of power is part of it.

Keep in mind also, the larger tires will throw off your speedometer. The change in tire size and speedometer reading will throw off the shifting points.

I think the shif points being off is the biggest cause of your complaint. well, that and the loss of power frm the tires

·
Registered
38 Posts
I would agree His larger tires will certainly add to it, mine are stock 32's and Ive complained about it from day one.The OD is useless in a area were there is any up hill terrain.imo

i

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
mine does it too...

i have a 2 1/2 bb lift, 1 inch body lift, and 34's

I have 4.10 gears currently

I'm fed up with it... i haven't regeared it, but looks like i have to. I'm currently using this downshifting as an excuse to trade it in, but the wife isn't digging it. She wants a new car first:pissed:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I live in the mountains of sw Oregon,using OD locally just doesn't get it at all.That is true on any of my past vehicles with the exception of the 06 libby crd we had.There just isn't any argument against the torque of a diesel.

A

·
0 Posts
These threads always make me laugh. Around these parts you are happy when you don’t drop down to 2nd and 4rd gear when climbing the mountain passes :laughing:

If you want the power to stay in overdrive best bet is to sell the Jeep :thefinger:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
These threads always make me laugh. Around these parts you are happy when you don’t drop down to 2nd and 4rd gear when climbing the mountain passes :laughing:

If you want the power to stay in overdrive best bet is to sell the Jeep :thefinger:

I've already planted the seed to sell my jeep! moo-ha-ha-ha-ha...

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
If you live in an area that makes your auto trans constantly down shift,you would never get it into 5th or 6th gear if you had a manual.Case in point: my last truck,an 07 chevy colorado Z-71 4x4 with the ecotec engine and 5 sp manual trans never saw 5th gear around here.It just wasn't gonna happen,and shifting between 3rd and 4th all the time got old quick.That was my last manual trans for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

Yeah, although mine did great with OD off and cruse control from here to Glenwood Springs and back recently. I just let the jeep do what it wanted to by itself and was very pleased.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I had the same behavior during the short time I had 4.10s with 35s. The hills made driving almsot unbearable. The 5.13 gears have been perfect for me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts