JKOwners Forum banner

Doors won't lock anymore!!

132K views 56 replies 46 participants last post by  Dman74 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I just bought an 07 JK Rubicon, 50k miles. It came with a hardtop, and so yesterday I pulled the hardtop off and went driving. Boy is it nice having a Jeep. Anyway, when I get out and lock the jeep from the key thing, the alarm beeps but the doors don't lock. Just open the doors and go. The alarm doesn't sound either. I am able to push the switch and unlock all the doors, but they still won't lock. Any ideas? While driving the doors do lock when you hit a certain speed. Thanks

#5 · (Edited)
Did you plug the doors back in?

edit: Sorry, just saw that you didn't take the doors off, just the top. That shouldn't affect the doors in any way. Try disconnecting your battery and leaving unhooked for about 10 minutes, then hook it back up again. This might reset it. Kinda like a reboot for a computer. Your next test would be to see if the passenger door's power locks work. If it does, then you might have a bad driver's side switch. Only problem with that is that the key fob should still work.

#6 ·
Knowing all the computer crap on these jeeps you will probably need a new TIPM or something like that. FWIW this is the exact reason I ordered my jeep with manual everything.

#9 ·
weird lock issues

My 08 wrangler has a similar problem. Sometimes it would not lock with the key fob. The alarm is set, but no doors locked. I finally caught it when I parked and tried the fob. Would beep but no lock. Would unlock fine but no lock. Opened the door and the lock button would also not lock but would unlock. I could manually lock. Next time I drove it (about an hour later) it worked fine. Most of the time it works fine. I have never had the doors off. All 4 doors and tailgate behave identically (all work or all fail). When it failed to lock I did not hear the door even trying to lock. When it works it is easy to hear the thump of lock and unlock.
I have no fix yet.

#51 ·
weird lock issues

My 08 wrangler has a similar problem. Sometimes it would not lock with the key fob. The alarm is set, but no doors locked. I finally caught it when I parked and tried the fob. Would beep but no lock. Would unlock fine but no lock. Opened the door and the lock button would also not lock but would unlock. I could manually lock. Next time I drove it (about an hour later) it worked fine. Most of the time it works fine. I have never had the doors off. All 4 doors and tailgate behave identically (all work or all fail). When it failed to lock I did not hear the door even trying to lock. When it works it is easy to hear the thump of lock and unlock.
I have no fix yet.
find a fix? Having the same problem with my 08

#11 ·
Just a few days ago... took the doors off my 07...plugged em in and rolled the windows up. Next day the locks worked but the windows wouldn't go down ..could hear the relay and switch clicking however they wouldn't work... pulled over and still nothing. figured I would tackle it in the morning, went out and they rolled right down ???

no clue... maybe u got the same gremlin

#12 ·
BUMP!! Having nearly the same issue with my 07' Sahara. Returned home from errands, hopped out and hit the lock button on the fob and no kerchunk from the locks. Checked fuse and found it blown. Now for the real kicker; replaced the fuse and the front windshield washer pump now runs constantly. Doors will unlock fine with cab switches and fob but no locking at all and a windshield pump that runs constantly. I disconnected the negative battery cable and left it overnight. No improvement, and shouldn't my clock and radio presets have needed re-programmed? They were still fine when I reconnected the ground, like nothing even happened.:cwm13:

#13 ·
same issue 2009 jk key and door locks

I have had an issue with my key not unlocking my vehicle. I have to take both keys everywhere I go, sometimes when 1 doesn't work the other will unlock the vehicle. Sometimes neither work and I have to put key in door lock and quickly unlock it and stick the key in the ignition to start and the alarm stops. I have had it to the dealer many times with keys being replaced and other bs answers. Finally 2011 they replaced (the next step I guess, I will get the exact part when I pick up the vehicle in a few days). But this did nothing either. Actually I have locked the vehicle with the key( horn sounds) then came back out and grabbed the door to open( forgot to use key to unlock and turn alarm off) and the door opens right up. Sometimes the alarm sounds and sometimes the door just opens with no alarm. So I really have no idea if the jeep is locked or not even if the key lock is pressed and the horn sounds. I took it in again today to see if they had a solution and the guy wanted to say the battery might be low in one of the keys. Which is bs and I said sometimes one doesn't work sometimes both, and other times it works fine. He says they hooked it up and don't get any codes to show up and they cant fix what they don't know is wrong. (runaround) He said well just bring it in when it happens...but when it happens I have to put the key in ignition to stop alarm and drive there and that resets it or whatever and it works for ever how long it decides to work. So I suggested next time it wont unlock that I call and they can come see it or I will video tape it and he said they don't have mobile service and the video doesn't mean anything and he believes me. So I am leaving the jeep there for a week and they will go out and lock and unlock the vehicle each day to see if they can get it to happen. Sooooo frustrated and it seems many others are having same issues. I told him I cant believe that there is not another jeep having the same issue in America that they cant use as an example. he said they searched their database and have nothing that resembles this issue anywhere and I am the first one to have this problem (more bs). If anyone has taken theirs to dealer with no resolve give me the dealership so I can throw it in his face when I go back in. I will let you know the outcome in a week. sorry so long but very :pissed:

#14 ·
update

The service manager called back. The part replaced in 2011 was control module( which did not fix the issue). They are going to keep the jeep for a week and attempt to lock and unlock it multiple times during the work day. I will keep updating as I get the info.

G
#17 ·
TOAD Jeep

2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, same issue doors won't lock replaced fuze washer pump runs continuous and doors still won't lock. disconnected washer pump wiring still didn't work, disconnected battery hoping for a reset of soem sort---no impact. STILL DOESN"T work!
Also passenger seat right side seat cushion frame has collapsed. my wife weighs maybe 110 pounds but this was too much for my rugged Rubicons seat. Linkage cable on differential snapped first time I disengaged for towing (mileage 2500).
Unbelievable! Dealer has been nice but my miles are past warranty and now it becomes a money pit.

Love my jeep but can't keep watching it fall apart.

1snoopydog

G
#18 ·
I have the same lock issue

I have an 08 Sahara. Same issue on mine, I cannot lock but can unlock. It was intermittent but now it seems permanent. Leads me to suspect that it might be related to wear and tear or corrosion on the one of plugs that connect to the doors. Once it warms up a little I am going to start expermenting and cleaning the connectors. If anyone has a fix, please post it.

G
#19 ·
Hooligan is right

I've got the same problem. I've disconnected my battery and left unhooked for about 10 minutes, then hooked it back up again. The programmation was initialized and everything worked fine. You should hear when you drive faster than 20 km/h a click , then this proves that everything works (sorry for my poor english - I'm a french JK owner).

#20 ·
Bump
My 09 has been getting progressively worse with strange gremlins with the locking and unlocking of the doors. I just realized that, intermittently, when locking from the key fob, the horn will sound but the doors don't always lock. Open the door and the horn sounds. Today, the rear driver's side window rolled down fine, but ook several attempts to get it roll up. I have noticed that the rear or passenger doors don't always unlock, when the driver's side does.
I have noticed the red light that indicates it is locked flashes along with the TPMS light for several seconds, but this only happens once out of 20-30 starts. A little searching online suggest it could be the control module going out, it may not be recognizing the key. But I have read several post stating the problem didn't stop after the module was replaced by dealer.
Any updates on this issue?

#24 ·
I have this problem. only when it is hot. all the doors will not lock. but they will unlock. so then I have to go around to every door and manually lock. then if I forget and hit unlock. I get to do it all over again. Once the engine has cooled down the doors will lock again. Problem is worse in the summer. I have a feeling i have a bad connection on the computer and when it is hot something expands and once cool it makes contact again.

It is not worth the cost to get a new computer installed. but I am thinking about a aftermarket alarm that will do the locking that the computer refuses to do.

#25 ·
07 Sahara - same issue

I just bought an 07 Sahara knowing it had this issue but expected it to be an easy fix....guess not. Unlock works great with key fob and door switch...but lock does not function with fob or switch. When I press the fob lock button, the horn sounds and the lights flash...so it is not the key, programming, SKIM, etc...but the lock function simply does not work.

#50 ·
07 Sahara - same issue

I just bought an 07 Sahara knowing it had this issue but expected it to be an easy fix....guess not. Unlock works great with key fob and door switch...but lock does not function with fob or switch. When I press the fob lock button, the horn sounds and the lights flash...so it is not the key, programming, SKIM, etc...but the lock function simply does not work.
find a fix yet?

#29 ·
The switches in each door that doesn't lock or just the driver's door? I just got into a 1997 and thought I'd look for a fix in the Internet. WOW, can't believe how common this is on Jeeps. My FOB unlocks them after a couple of tries but will not lock the back doors and even the switch on the drivers panel wont lock the back doors. The strange thing is, I can hear the solenoids activating as if the doors are locking. So I'm left with manually opening the back doors and moving the lever to lock.

#28 ·
RockyRv

Just had my 08 Wrangler start doing this. Heat doesnt seem to be the problem, just the
opposite.... today is coolest in last 3 weeks. Las Vegas area. Fobs only work on unlock function within 5 feet of jeep. Had problems with STEALERSHIP during warranty period over other computer issues, this just another one with no resolution?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.