JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just thinking ahead to summer time with my JKU. With my TJ the doors and top was always off in the summer but obviously I never had to worry about rear doors. With the JK I'm not sure how much I like the idea of my daughter in the back seat with the doors off. I had to put her booster seat in the center of the back seat becuase it was hitting the headrests, so she is a little further away. I thought about buying the bestop 2 piece soft doors for summer to help keep things flying in at least.

Just curious what others do with small kids in the summer. FWIW she is 4 1/2. This is also a toy and is only driven on nice days or in the trails.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I do it all the time with my 5yr old, he sits in the center with his booster as well. Not cause it hits the headrest but cause I just feel more comfortable with him in the middle. I am still planning on getting the tube doors but I feel comfortable with him in the center with no doors. He has a very small booster so I dont worry about it hitting the headrest and even with the tube doors he will still sit in the middle. Remember, the belt holds him/her in the seat and the sticker on your sunvisor says the factory doors are only for protection from the elements.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could go with Rock/tube doors. As long as she is belted in all should be good. I have Or-Fab myself.
I thought about that too, but I like having the option of having a 2 piece door for that quick summer shower or for time it is in tow instead of being driven. (this will be flat towed behind a motorhome also)

·
ADDICTION II build begins....
3,833 Posts
I have 3 kiddos so middle seat isn't an option! :laughing: I just leave the doors on for now until they get a little older.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
I am just thinking ahead to summer time with my JKU. With my TJ the doors and top was always off in the summer but obviously I never had to worry about rear doors. With the JK I'm not sure how much I like the idea of my daughter in the back seat with the doors off. I had to put her booster seat in the center of the back seat becuase it was hitting the headrests, so she is a little further away. I thought about buying the bestop 2 piece soft doors for summer to help keep things flying in at least.

Just curious what others do with small kids in the summer. FWIW she is 4 1/2. This is also a toy and is only driven on nice days or in the trails.
I've got a 3-1/2 yr old and the rear doors stay on when she's in the Jeep. I take the front doors off even when we go wheeling, but the rear doors stay on if she's in the Jeep. I don't like the Bestop soft doors - I know the stock doors don't do much by way of protection, but they do more than a fabric door. I'll roll down the windows, but that's about it. Where we go wheeling, there's too many branches and stuff poking out, and would rather avoid any accidents.

I don't think the Jeep looks that bad with just the rear doors on - especially if the top is off or you're running a bikini top. Here's a pic before I got a new bumper and tire rack.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do it all the time with my 5yr old, he sits in the center with his booster as well. Not cause it hits the headrest but cause I just feel more comfortable with him in the middle. I am still planning on getting the tube doors but I feel comfortable with him in the center with no doors. He has a very small booster so I dont worry about it hitting the headrest and even with the tube doors he will still sit in the middle. Remember, the belt holds him/her in the seat and the sticker on your sunvisor says the factory doors are only for protection from the elements.
Great! Thanks for the info. I do like her sitting in the middle, it feels much safer. I never noitced the sitkcer on the sunvisor, I will have to check that out. I think I will order the soft doors since 4wd has a sale going today.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
We started taking the doors off last summer when my son turned 7. I wanted to try it when he was younger but wifey would have none of it.

We have harnesses for all three of us when wheeling. I typically leave his mounted up in the back seat because its a PITA to take on and off. He suggested that if I put him in the middle and then buckle him up in his wheeling 4pt harness maybe we could take the doors off this summer. I told him I thought it was a great solution but he had to sell it to his mother first. So the boy promptly marches into the house and drags his mom out behind him and then proceeds to logically lay out his argument. Wife looks at me with both laughter and daggers shooting from her eyes and asks if this was my idea. I told her nope, all his, I just told him to ok it with you. After she thought about it for a bit she couldn't see an issue with it either so we gave it a try. He likes it. She likes it. Open air is fun and the harness is cool.

Doors off for the win! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I only do it when we are on back roads (very few cars around) never on any highway or crowded roads. My kids are 5 & 9 adn they both love it.

·
Registered
875 Posts
We started taking the doors off last summer when my son turned 7. I wanted to try it when he was younger but wifey would have none of it.

We have harnesses for all three of us when wheeling. I typically leave his mounted up in the back seat because its a PITA to take on and off. He suggested that if I put him in the middle and then buckle him up in his wheeling 4pt harness maybe we could take the doors off this summer. I told him I thought it was a great solution but he had to sell it to his mother first. So the boy promptly marches into the house and drags his mom out behind him and then proceeds to logically lay out his argument. Wife looks at me with both laughter and daggers shooting from her eyes and asks if this was my idea. I told her nope, all his, I just told him to ok it with you. After she thought about it for a bit she couldn't see an issue with it either so we gave it a try. He likes it. She likes it. Open air is fun and the harness is cool.

Doors off for the win! :grinpimp:

Thata boy, sounds like that apple didn't fall far from the tree at all.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
I had my little girl (4 now, but she was 3 then) riding no doors shortly after I got the Jeep. I've got 3 kids, too, and 2 of them are in seats (1 booster, 1 full seat) so I can't exactly get either of the seats in the middle. That means my oldest sits in the middle and the younger ones on the outside. The little girl LOVES that wind in her face. She actually gets excited when she sees the doors coming off.

Do it. If the wifey doesn't like it, tell her to put the doors back on herself. Once she picks one up, I think she'll reconsider.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
I've recently been thinking about this too. With the grandkid pool growing we have 8, 5 & 3 yo's here and a 4 yo in Huntsville. I think for now maybe doors off with the 8yo in the center and on if we have more than one in there.

Do it. If the wifey doesn't like it, tell her to put the doors back on herself. Once she picks one up, I think she'll reconsider.
Mmmm recipe for a happy marriage.:rolleyes: I would need approval from three mommas and two daddies for the grandchildren lol.

....I had to put her booster seat in the center of the back seat because it was hitting the headrests....
If you ever want the headrests out of the way, fold the seat and bring it back up while holding the hr back then just bungee it in position. Problem solved.

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Eh, that was tongue in check, gold night.

FWIW, my wife was born/raised in the Philippines. She probably rode in Jeeps without doors more often than in vehicles WITH doors when she was growing up. I think that's why she doesn't think much of it. Probably helped a little bit.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Damn! You guys make me feel like a terrible parent now! Had everything off about 2 weeks ago with my 17 month old son in the back seat. He's in a Recaro car seat in the middle, strapped in nice & secure, and we were only on back roads between the house and daycare which is maybe 2-3 miles away, but you guys saying your kids are much older than him and you still don't pull the doors off.....guess maybe I need to reconsider this.:hide:

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
Eh, that was tongue in check, gold night.

FWIW, my wife was born/raised in the Philippines. She probably rode in Jeeps without doors more often than in vehicles WITH doors when she was growing up. I think that's why she doesn't think much of it. Probably helped a little bit.
Yeah I thought it was, that rolleyes might have been a little strong lol. I couldn't decide between :rasta: and :laughing:

:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
Damn! You guys make me feel like a terrible parent now! Had everything off about 2 weeks ago with my 17 month old son in the back seat. He's in a Recaro car seat in the middle, strapped in nice & secure, and we were only on back roads between the house and daycare which is maybe 2-3 miles away, but you guys saying your kids are much older than him and you still don't pull the doors off.....guess maybe I need to reconsider this.:hide:
Nah, break 'im in young! Just don't BREAK him.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Nah, break 'im in young! Just don't BREAK him.
Considering the fact that for some reason he likes to beat his head against the headboard of our bed on occassion :shaking:.....I think he'll hold up fairly well. He's still purty smart, too!

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts
Go for it. All doors off with 8, 10, 12yo. They've been doing it since '07.:beer:

your kids are much older than him and you still don't pull the doors off.....guess maybe I need to reconsider this.:hide:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts