JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here is a question for those who run with the doors off. First I love running with the doors off and top down. Nothing beats it, well almost nothing. But I am having a problem that the doors are getting stuck in the hinges. No matter how hard I shake back and forth or how much I lift up, I always end up having to wedge a flathead and a small hammer to seperate the upper and lower hinge. Anyone got any ideas to make it easier? I have used lith grease, axle grease, PB blaster, WD40, liquid wrench and all the same. its starting to get very annoying. Please help me remove my doors.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Also - make sure the door is at a 90 degree angle to the body - then straight up...

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
i've run into this LOTS of times, especially after winter or on older rigs (07/08's) that have never had the doors off

usually i put on a leather glove, and fold up some cardboard for under my hand. then i do the "back of the hand on the thigh" technique.

you basically sit in the door jam of the jeep. brace your leg under the door (this doesn't work with very lifted jeeps). put your hand palm up just above your knee on your thigh, holding the folded carboard. you're going to be lifting up on the bottom of the door as close to the curve that's under the hinges as possible.

the weight of your body sitting in the door jam holds the jeep down, then you lift up with your foot (using your calf muscle) and wiggle the door quickly back and forth. i mean QUICKLY only a few degrees. it's a BITCH and takes forever, but it's the only way i've found that works.

once the door is out hit the door pins with sand paper (i used a sanding belt and went to town on mine) and then follow up with some anti-sieze.

it sucks, it took me an hour and a half to get both my doors off the 2 door. once you go at them with the sand paper they'll always slip right off and on though.

good luck!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have an 07 and mine are hell to get off even after anti sieze etc. Its a pain in the ass to do especially if your alone but I have a 3' piece of 2x4 that I wedge under the door and on top of the sliders/steps then very gently push up on the 2x4 and they pop right out. If you dont have someone holding the door for you while doing this then take it slow cuz they will pop out and be on the ground before you get a chance to catch them. Ask how I know :bawling: But I can have my doors off in about 5 minutes

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
^^good ideas 2k2. So far I've been able to grab mine and lift using a similar wiggle technique. The winters obviously are not as hard on them here.

I read where one guy used a 2x4 as a lever with the end in the door jam. Just stood outside with a rag between the bottom of the door and the 2x and gently lift up kind basically like your thigh deal.

EDIT> Oh haha there you are jonas, never mind.

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I have an 07 and mine are hell to get off even after anti sieze etc. Its a pain in the ass to do especially if your alone but I have a 3' piece of 2x4 that I wedge under the door and on top of the sliders/steps then very gently push up on the 2x4 and they pop right out. If you dont have someone holding the door for you while doing this then take it slow cuz they will pop out and be on the ground before you get a chance to catch them. Ask how I know :bawling: But I can have my doors off in about 5 minutes
you need to sand down the pins then. i don't mean lightly either lol. i went crazy on mine and they slide right on and off now. HUGE improvement. no wiggling required at all.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking of the sanding part. Mine is a 08 lifted with 35's, so the doors aren't exactly low. the 2x4 is also another good idea. I have to hit the hinges with paint anyway.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Careful not to bend the the pins or hinges. They are made out of pot metal very delicate. A little white lithium grease before putting the doors back in usually keeps them from sticking. Just make sure you put the limit strap or you will get the side mirror tattooed into your hood

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
I was thinking of the sanding part. Mine is a 08 lifted with 35's, so the doors aren't exactly low. the 2x4 is also another good idea. I have to hit the hinges with paint anyway.
i wouldn't paint the pins after you sand them. They're pot metal and they're bare anyway. i'd just hit em with antisieze after you sand em.

i used a 150 grit sanding belt and it was real quick and easy. Just hooked it behind the pin and went back and forth.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere... seems graphite works well with the composite bushings.

Dumb question Ryan, you use the blackish or copper impregnated? I have both.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
There's a thread here somewhere... seems graphite works well with the composite bushings.
It really does- and the graphite "coats" the bushings without attracting dirt, dust, sand......unlike liquid lubricants can.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I have a thread on it! But you or someone is going to have to get it from my threads because I'm on my phone right now. It will show you what to do when your doors are really stuck! It's called Rear doors are stuck. I can't figure out how to do it with my phone. Sorry.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,065 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Thanks gk!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
^^What... put them on your rig? ^^
Lol :)

·
Registered
718 Posts
By the way a really easy way to take them off is to roll down the window, open the door about 90 degrees, and while standing on the "outside" of the door, stick one arm through the window and grab the inside handle. Place the other hand under the side view mirror. Push straight up. This gives you the perfect leverage and also makes it easy to carry.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Use a highlift jack with a piece of rubber on it.

Doors come off easy.:beer:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts