JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched for this but can't find anything.

The previous owner decided to make it easy to get the doors off and cut the ends off the door wiring harness. I checked at the jeep dealer and was quoted $35 a side. If all they do is turn the dome lights on I'm not sure that's worth $70.

Do these do anything but turn the dome light on when the doors open?

· Registered
11,420 Posts
Assuming you have no alarm or power door locks/windows, then yes..that's essentially all they do. They tell the Jeep when the door is open [also turns off the radio instantly with the key out when the door is opened]

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies.

I don't have power doors, so that would be all they do.
I thought about replacing them with a different set of connectors, someday my wife might let me add power door locks and windows. :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far I've found:

Only 1 key ($60 for the key + $50 for programing it)
Carpet not installed right (Thinking about taking it all out)
All the zippers on the top have bad spots so I can't unzip them (Not sure I need power locks with soft top)
Windows are very bad on the soft top, they have a lot of scratches

It all looks cosmetic. The engine runs very good with no leaks. The transmission shifts nice. Tight steering with no noise. Couldn't really test the 4wd.

· Premium Member
3,109 Posts
So far I've found:

Only 1 key ($60 for the key + $50 for programing it)
Carpet not installed right (Thinking about taking it all out)
All the zippers on the top have bad spots so I can't unzip them (Not sure I need power locks with soft top)
Windows are very bad on the soft top, they have a lot of scratches

It all looks cosmetic. The engine runs very good with no leaks. The transmission shifts nice. Tight steering with no noise. Couldn't really test the 4wd.
wax the zippers with bees wax, they are self healing. hit them with a hair drier to warm them up while on the jeep if they are all bent and shit (hair drier NOT heat gun)
Do NOT use windex or other glass cleaners on the plastic windows, they will etch the plastic. get some polishing compound (NOT rubbing compound, we are talking clearcoat polishing stuff like 3m or Meguires) for buffing out clear coats and a drill attached foam buffing pad, don't go stupid fast and take your time. try a small area to see what you need to do. With a buffing pad, buffing compond and swirl remover I can repair soft top windows unless they are seriously fucked. Most boat shops will also sell stuff as boats have the same windows and issues.

have fun

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wax the zippers with bees wax, they are self healing. hit them with a hair drier to warm them up while on the jeep if they are all bent and shit (hair drier NOT heat gun)
Do NOT use windex or other glass cleaners on the plastic windows, they will etch the plastic. get some polishing compound (NOT rubbing compound, we are talking clearcoat polishing stuff like 3m or Meguires) for buffing out clear coats and a drill attached foam buffing pad, don't go stupid fast and take your time. try a small area to see what you need to do. With a buffing pad, buffing compond and swirl remover I can repair soft top windows unless they are seriously fucked. Most boat shops will also sell stuff as boats have the same windows and issues.

have fun
Thanks for the tip, I will go get some bees wax today.

How do you get them past the bad spots? Pull really hard or is there a trick?
The driver's side rear I can't unzip because of a bad spot and can't zip farther because of a bad spot. The rear window is the same and looks like the top may be missing a tooth.

· Registered
37 Posts
Does anyone know how I could make the straps and wiring longer? I hate that the doors don't open to 90*. Or maybe I just got used to TJ not having door starps and the door swings all the way to the fender. I think the back seat is almost impossible to get out of.

· Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Thanks for the tip, I will go get some bees wax today.

How do you get them past the bad spots? Pull really hard or is there a trick?
The driver's side rear I can't unzip because of a bad spot and can't zip farther because of a bad spot. The rear window is the same and looks like the top may be missing a tooth.
power through it. worse that happens is you need to have a upholstery shop sew in some new zippers that would aready br crap anyway.

Does anyone know how I could make the straps and wiring longer? I hate that the doors don't open to 90*. Or maybe I just got used to TJ not having door starps and the door swings all the way to the fender. I think the back seat is almost impossible to get out of.
Front doors cant go 90 or the mirror hits your cowl. Just cut/splice/head shrink the wires to be longer, basic wiring 101 type stuff. I had to make mine longer due to my cage mount.

as for the stops just add a loop of 550 cord or nylon tape to the end loop and use that instead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.