JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. Im tired of using the search option and finding 0! Does anyone have a way to store the doors when off? Pics would be nice.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
i did this about a year ago. found them in the hasp/lock section at home depot. used two per door. screwed to the 2X4 with 4 2" wood srews each. cost about 5 or 6 bucks. plenty strong enough for jk doors. i dipped each one in some liquid rubber tool dip.

2008_0605doorhangars0002.JPG

2008_0605doorhangars0010.jpg

2008_0605doorhangars0006.JPG

·
Registered
242 Posts
At Home Depot and Lowes they have ladder racks that are padded and perfect for Jeep doors. They are $6 each. One bracket perfectly supports one door. They are rated for like 150 pounds so they are extra strong.

·
Registered
521 Posts
At Home Depot and Lowes they have ladder racks that are padded and perfect for Jeep doors. They are $6 each. One bracket perfectly supports one door. They are rated for like 150 pounds so they are extra strong.
that is what i did.. thanks duke for the idea!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some carts I made from PVC and plywood. Had about half the material on hand from other stuff and bought the rest. At some point I stapled some strips of carpet down on the base.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
That's a great solution Berlin. A lot of great ideas here.

My vote is for the RubiCajun deal just because of the coolness factor. And I don't have a real garage yet. I could do this in my shed:D although I'm anal retentive so the rear doors would have to be in the middle and the fronts on the outside:rasta:

Post some pics of the ladder racks your using. Also, is that a homemade hard top rack in the background?
Funny when I first looked at it I thought one hook was hanging from the light:)

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
i was going to do the ladder hooks but i have door vent shades. too much weight on the plastic shades. but good for those that don't have the shades.

Knight, you must be related to Monk.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
Post some pics of the ladder racks your using. Also, is that a homemade hard top rack in the background?
:smokin:yeah. screwed four eyebolts into the ceiling joists and used four tie down straps. pretty cheap, under 12 bucks if I remember. just back Freebird in the garage, undo the torx bolts and station the rubber coated hooks, pull up on the straps. do it by myself. no problemeaux.:D

·
Registered
686 Posts
OK ... I'm gonna put together a RubiCajun door hanger setup together for myself .. thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I think I'm gonna build a rack that holds the doors up by the hinges like that but attach the whole thing to a harbor freight hoist mounted to the ceiling rafter in the shop so I can lift 'em up and store them up high out of the way.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I'm gonna build a rack that holds the doors up by the hinges like that but attach the whole thing to a harbor freight hoist mounted to the ceiling rafter in the shop so I can lift 'em up and store them up high out of the way.
Do you really need a rack. Can't you just hang the doors on the hook of the hoist and raise them up?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Do you really need a rack. Can't you just hang the doors on the hook of the hoist and raise them up?
you mean string all 4 doors on the hook like keys on a ring?
ummm probably not gonna do that.....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, nOt like keys:shaking: I was thinking of the second post where he used the tow straps for the hard top. MY BAD. I see what you mean. If there is only one or two hooks for the hoist, then yes you need a rack. I'm an idiot. Or maybe its past my bedtime.:crybaby2:

·
Registered
11,065 Posts

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I'm thinkin something like this, hang the doors by the hinges but vertically
attach the hoist to a cable run between the eyebolts so I can shift it side to side balance it level.
pretty much just a 2x6 with 2 eyebolts on top to hang it by and 4 eyebolts on each side to hang the doors by the hinges on.
Its a quickie autocad but it should get the point across.

thoughts? ideas? am I nuts?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts