JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JKU
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a couple old posts about door storage. Not sure if I’m posting this because I’m proud of the idea or a confession of how cluttered my garage is that I had to resort to hanging things from the ceiling after all the walls got full. But, here’s what I came up with to store 4 JKU doors. Details follow the pics. BTW. This does support all four factory doors. I just hung one safari door up for the purpose of these pics. Hope someone finds this useful.
B1959687-7890-45CF-8577-992CEED27D63.jpeg

The rack is just a 4x4 with perpendicular 2x4s mounted on top side. I notched the 4x4 and 2x4s so the bottom surfaces would be flush. I added a 1/8” x1” x 8”metal strip (not shown in pics) to the top of each 2x4 over the notch because notching weakened the 2x4. This was done at the suggestion of an engineer friend. Who knew cutting things weakened them?

I wanted it to raise and lower the rack so I wouldn’t have to climb a ladder with a front JK door. I bought a hoist just like the one above from Harbor Freight for around $100. The hoist used for the door rack is actually mounted in the attic because surface mounting it on the ceiling didn’t give enough clearance, damn it. If your ceiling is high enough, I encourage surface ceiling mount. Attic was a PITA.
The hinge hardware, is actually outdoor fence gate hinge hardware I bought at Lowe’s for $25 or less. Just had to find a set to fit the door hinge pins. I bought a set of JK hinge plastic inserts from Quadratec to make a perfect fit.

I bent the gate hinge straps over the 2x4s and used carriage bolts all the way through, just because I over design everything.
Because the hoist only has one cable, I added a few pulleys in the attic and on the rack so that the cable could snake around and attach to the rack at both ends.
I added the chain as a secondary restraint when the rack is all the way up in case the cable were to fail. I did this because, well, I bought the hoist at harbor freight. 😁

I can now lower the rack with the hoist’s pendant controller hanging down from attic, slide the door hinges on, bag the doors, then lift it up so I can walk under them.
Now, it is ugly. And it is clunky. But, I ain’t hangin corvette doors. 😂

Also, while my cable snaking pulley design works, it has a lot of friction. So, when raising and lowering, it wants to raise or lower only the hoist side. So, you need to give a manual lift assist to the other side. But, minimal effort in the grand scheme.

·
Registered
2015 JKU
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Supplemental: The hoist shown in prior post is identical to the one in the attic. I actually have three of these. One for doors, one for hard top and the one shown for general use and mounted on a track. I like this forum, just not enough to climb through the attic for a pic.

But, if anyone is really interested in trying this out, I’m happy to jump up there and photo the hoist mount and pulley set up.
But, if anyone is really interested in trying this out, I’m happy to jump up there and photo the hoist mount and pulley set up.

Likewise, happy to talk if anyone interested. Just reach out.

·
Registered
2015 JKU
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Second Supplemental:
When hanging doors, point top of front doors opposite direction as top of back doors. They are off balance and hanging all same direction will cause it to hang very crooked.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts