JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I tried searching for this topic but didn't see anything. Wondering if anyone can help? I'm a new owner of a Jeep JK, '07. I don't have power windows or locks. While that's not an issue, the issue IS that I can't manually lock or unlock the doors (both driver and passenger) from the outside with my key. The cylinders don't turn at all. The previous owner said to just put some "white grease"? on/in the cylinder and it should loosen it up. Any truth to this? What's "white grease"? Is there a different method I should try? Thanks.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes, there is a better option. Go to your local auto parts store and look on the gasket maker/silicone/whatever else is on that isle and look for some graphite lube. It's gonna be in a greyish/blackish tube about the size of the small tubes of loctite. It will be a grey powderery substance, stick the tip of the tube in your keyhole and give it a couple puffs. Then stick your key in and gently work the key back and forth (GENTLY YOU DONT WANT TO BREAK THE KEY OFF IN THE DOOR) I wouldn't use grease as it attracts dirt and dust over time and can actually cause your very problem. The graphite lube puffs out so it will spread the lube powder around when you squeeze the tube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. Thanks Taco08jk.

Another thing I just thought about, is perhaps the doors were replaced and aren't the original doors therefore the key won't work.

I'll try your idea first but I may have to get a new key made or re-key the lock cylinders.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cool. Thanks Taco08jk.

Another thing I just thought about, is perhaps the doors were replaced and aren't the original doors therefore the key won't work.

I'll try your idea first but I may have to get a new key made or re-key the lock cylinders.

Thanks again.
Well if that's a possibility then the lube won't work, might ask the previous owner if he had doors/ignition cylinder replaced. But the lube is good preventative maintaince.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Cool. Thanks Taco08jk.

Thanks again.

that is what i would guess happened.. it is very strange that neither side will work.. im guessing they were changed. you will probably need new cylinders.. which is not to big of deal.. good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts