JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the board....

My strap has torn such that the wiring harness is the last line of defense for my door swinging into the mirror. I have manual windows so not sure what the wiring is accomplishing anyway.

Any advice on quick, cheap fixes would be appreciated. Dealer wants $149 for another one.......:|

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,099 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Not as sexy because the wires aren't hidden/ tucked into the strap like the OEM but when mine started to tear, I took a couple lengths of nylon strap ( I think they were originally ratchet straps idk) and mocked them up to the length that I wanted. ( The OEM straps were too short anyway)... but I went ahead and marked where I wanted the length and the size of the loops on either end. Then took them to a guy right down the road that does industrial sewing ( boots/ canvas/ heavy duty stuff) and he sewed the ends closed. Cost maybe $10-$15. So if you know someone and already have some nylon strap material lying around, you can make custom length limiters on the cheap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not as sexy because the wires aren't hidden/ tucked into the strap like the OEM but when mine started to tear, I took a couple lengths of nylon strap ( I think they were originally ratchet straps idk) and mocked them up to the length that I wanted. ( The OEM straps were too short anyway)... but I went ahead and marked where I wanted the length and the size of the loops on either end. Then took them to a guy right down the road that does industrial sewing ( boots/ canvas/ heavy duty stuff) and he sewed the ends closed. Cost maybe $10-$15. So if you know someone and already have some nylon strap material lying around, you can make custom length limiters on the cheap.
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you want a new factory replacement strap...

I just had to replace my inner door harness because my wires stripped out of the electrical connector without enough left to splice it back in. (my buddy connected the wiring but not the strap and the door swung forwards on a hill)

If you have manual locks and windows then the harness is there to tell the dome light to turn on when you open the door. (ever wonder why your dome light isn't on when you take the doors off?)

Anyway, the strap and wiring harness are sold as the same part and Dealer part was like $40 and to get to the other end of the wire where it is plugged in you have to remove the window from the door so paying the dealer to install this would likely be big $.

Instead, you can do what I did and splice the new wiring harness into the old wiring harness inside the door. The plastic removes relatively easily (look on youtube for JK door trim removal and follow what you see)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts