JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched around and can't find any help to my little problem. I've started getting a door chime every time the driver door is open and the key out of the ignition. I've got power windows and locks and the lock won't work but windows are good. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I've searched around and can't find any help to my little problem. I've started getting a door chime every time the driver door is open and the key out of the ignition. I've got power windows and locks and the lock won't work but windows are good. Any ideas?
Can't help. I've been having the same exact problem for months. It's like the Jeep thinks the key is still in the ignition. Sometimes it will revert back to normal for a few days, then back to acting retarded. When I pull up somewhere, I have to stop, turn the key off, open the door so all the locks unlock, shut the door, hit the door lock button on the door(relocking all the doors), then when I reopen the door all the other door locks stay locked. At that point I can manually lock the drivers door and get out. When I return, sometimes the key fob works to unlock the doors and sometimes not. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
I'm just lucky I live where I rarely have to bother with locking my Jeep. I'm just waiting for it to start deciding on it's own when it wants to start.

Hope you get an answer. Your not alone though.

Kevin

·
Registered
241 Posts
These issues have been reported in the past , in respect to those that have experienced it , I have not personally had this issue .
That said from what I understand the key has a sensitivity to static electrical charges due to low humidity in cold weather conditions .
Try your other key and see if the problem persists , But report back to this thread with your experience . Maybe someone with real world experience will chime in. good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I've tried both factory keys with no difference. I don't know about Nomad127, but here in Louisiana we never have low humidity. For me, summer, winter, makes no difference. It seems to have a mind of it's own.

Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin, we've got the same issue going on. I tried both keys and have the same problem. Fortunately, it's almost time to take the doors off but still want to fix it. I'll keep searching and let you know if i find anything.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
It's funny. Tonight I got out of the Jeep and left the door open. The chime would stop and start and stop and start. Strange. I'm going to disconnect the battery tomorrow, just to see if that does anything.

Kevin

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's funny. Tonight I got out of the Jeep and left the door open. The chime would stop and start and stop and start. Strange. I'm going to disconnect the battery tomorrow, just to see if that does anything.

Kevin
Yeah, a buddy had this problem. Unhooked the battery for 30 min and it went away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Disconnected the battery overnight and stupid thing still chimes every time I open the driver door. Just the driver. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Disconnected the battery overnight and stupid thing still chimes every time I open the driver door. Just the driver. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy.
I did the same thing last Sunday. Made no difference. And yet today it didn't do it one time. I was in and out of the Jeep at least 10 times today. We'll have to see what tomorrow brings.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I did the same thing last Sunday. Made no difference. And yet today it didn't do it one time. I was in and out of the Jeep at least 10 times today. We'll have to see what tomorrow brings.

Kevin
It did it all day today. I just don't get it.

Kevin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No relief here. The door chime with driver door open without the key in or lights on and the keyless entry won't lock/unlock. :suicide:

·
Registered
39 Posts
The switch inside the key cylinder may be gummed up and not moving freely. A friend had an older Grand and the cylinder was tough to move, and it kept dinging like your stating. I removed the cylinder and soaked it in WD 40, then kept working it till gunk came out. Mildly re greased some of the moving pieces and re installed. Fixed both of the issues..

Not sure if the cylinder comes out, but worth a quick look. His had a release tab under it, had to remove the bottom plastic around the column to view said release. Turn the key slightly on, push the release(you'll feel it move as you turn), then pull out.. The key will bring the cylinder out with it.

Side note, the switch itself is not in the cylinder, just the push pin which hits the micro switch inside the electrical portion. This will help free that if it's indeed the case, but it may be worth shooting a small squirt into the hole where you see the cylinder attachment point. It will all makes sense once you get it apart.

Good luck and let us know if it works...:suicide:

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Thanks man. I'll give that a try. It's kind of funny, I took the doors off yesterday and had already forgotten about the chime.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just started this week, with key out the door chime goes off and the key in ignition light comes on when the door is open. Remote doesn't work for locking or unlocking vehicle.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I just gave up. It will do it for weeks, then it won't. It will do it when I get out, then when I come back the remote will unlock the doors.

Kevin

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the info, have to take it in for a recall. They said they could troubleshoot the problem but it would be $130 just to look at it. I think I can live with it and just buy more alcohol with the money.

Barry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Any updates anyone? Solutions? I'm sure you guys are going to be hanging your doors again soon! Just picked up an 07 Sahara yesterday and I'm experiencing the same "door chime with driver door open without the key in or lights on and the keyless entry won't lock/unlock" symptoms...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Door chime with key out of ignition

I've been spinning my wheels trying to figure this out, I think it's the WCM (wireless control module). Which is the security antitheft device for the JK, which is match to the keys for your vehicle . There's been several issues with the older JK's having no start issues because of it having a static discharge. I wonder if there was a type of discharge that tricks the sensor into thinking that the key was still in the ignition.
I have taken the entire assembly apart. Looking for a ground wire like you would see in the older ignition cylinder, but now it dawned on me that the wireless control module acts as the ground for the key in ignition chime.
Like the start issues with the other JK's mine occurred on a cold dry day, perfect for static charge

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
I've been spinning my wheels trying to figure this out, I think it's the WCM (wireless control module). Which is the security antitheft device for the JK, which is match to the keys for your vehicle . There's been several issues with the older JK's having no start issues because of it having a static discharge. I wonder if there was a type of discharge that tricks the sensor into thinking that the key was still in the ignition.
I have taken the entire assembly apart. Looking for a ground wire like you would see in the older ignition cylinder, but now it dawned on me that the wireless control module acts as the ground for the key in ignition chime.
Like the start issues with the other JK's mine occurred on a cold dry day, perfect for static charge
I don't get too many dry days here, but I'll say that it only does it about half the time now. I call that a win.

Welcom to JKO

·
Registered
1 Posts
You probably won't believe this, but I had the same problem and at the same time this was happening, my kenwood ddx372bt was acting up as well. I pulled the unit out and the chime stopped. I'm in the process of getting a new stereo installed now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts