JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So are these guys crazy or smart?
saw an episode where they had enough food to feed 12 people for 22 years.
what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Personally I am not sure. I keep enough food, water and fuel for my family for two weeks. You never know when an earthquake, flood, power outage can screw things up. But to have enough for 22yrs? I have a bug out bag and enough ammo to get somewhere safe, after that it will be living off the land.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I can understand having the materials for your family to survive a few weeks to a month but 22 years?? Seems a bit crazy to me. Very paranoid.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Some of them/if not all of them are a little out there but I love the show. I am envious of the guy from South Carolina with enough firepower for a small war.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I learned a good tip from that show tonight. I never knew that common antibiotics that we are prescribed can be found in fish aquarium shops, but under different names. I may have to look into that next time I get sick, or lose my health insurance.

guns would be of utmost importance in a disaster situation though. People would need them just as much as food.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk

·
Comfortably Numb
12,269 Posts
I'm prepared for something minor like an earthquake or a really bad hurricane, but what I don't get is preparing for doomsday. WTF.. that, to me, means by by earth or at the very least total killoff of all life......then the aliens comeback and fill up the earthship zoo with life from everywhere else...............again. Hurricane Katrina did open my eyes to the need for some firepower around the homestead. seems to me that city folk, for the most part can't take care or aren't willing to take care of themselves and the further they drive out into the the sticks where I live and run out of gas and abandon their vehicles and then start looking for handouts the more the need to protect my supply and my family. fuck em, that's life. My wife and I have already decided what we're going to do if we're sitting on the porch and we see a half mile high wave coming out way....boom, boom.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,269 Posts
I learned a good tip from that show tonight. I never knew that common antibiotics that we are prescribed can be found in fish aquarium shops, but under different names. I may have to look into that next time I get sick, or lose my health insurance.

guns would be of utmost importance in a disaster situation though. People would need them just as much as food.

the local vet clinic or pet smart has lots of good shit.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts

Gonna have to look into that. Very interesting!

·
Registered
388 Posts
A water bob and some guns will get you a month. look at the people who get lost at sea for a month+. They live. It's all about keeping your rational thinking.
Ok and you need a shit bucket to keep sanitation and bowels in check. Ha.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Gonna have to look into that. Very interesting!
Great show! I only have a couple of weeks of food but I have years of amo:mad:

So my plan is... when we eat everything in this house I'm gonna go take what ever I need from my unarmed libs who live next door. Oh, and the wife's dog would be good eating:beer:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
The other week there was this 350lbs lady that was prepared to eat "like normal" during doomsday.
Great big fat buffet, lots of food, etc...
The important principle in her head was that she's fat and likes to eat so the most important thing to do during doomsday is to eat a lot.
That was the crazy one.

Oh and there was the guy with 10 000's of seeds, but no place to grow them...
And he was overweight.
And he was a little crazy.
And he was later arrested because he was "dangerous" around firearms...

Some are well prepared and dont sound crazy like others...

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i think it wouldnt be a bad idea to take a bit of each of them "grain of salt" thinking here and apply it. I told a friend who is a bit of a prepper that they can have all the food, firearms and water they want but they dont have a stockpile of the heart medication that they take daily... Hadnt thought of that i guess...
I really wouldnt mind learning how to dehydrate and store things long term, but no go insane with it...
remember to stockpile toilet paper! :D

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Honestly, I think dirt poor people with a little land have the best chance. When you grow up growing your own vegetables and canning them because that's all you have, and you end up using everything, no waste (I'm so fucking tired of bread and butter pickles), you got a pretty good shot at survival. I know if all hell breaks loose I'll be in a little cabin in the backwoods.

All these people who are thinking they'll just lock themselves in the bunker and continue to live the wasteful life of excess that they're used to are naive. They have no idea how to manage finite resources when they've never had to.

~SoCo

·
Registered
332 Posts
Honestly, I think dirt poor people with a little land have the best chance. When you grow up growing your own vegetables and canning them because that's all you have, and you end up using everything, no waste (I'm so fucking tired of bread and butter pickles), you got a pretty good shot at survival. I know if all hell breaks loose I'll be in a little cabin in the backwoods.

All these people who are thinking they'll just lock themselves in the bunker and continue to live the wasteful life of excess that they're used to are naive. They have no idea how to manage finite resources when they've never had to.

~SoCo
Yep, those that have always taken care of themselves will probably notice little change in their day to day lives. The thought that you can survive on your own in a bunker is crazy too. Communities will have to band together in a mutual support network, like the old days, if there is any hope of survival and rebuilding society after a total collapse of civilization.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yep, those that have always taken care of themselves will probably notice little change in their day to day lives. The thought that you can survive on your own in a bunker is crazy too. Communities will have to band together in a mutual support network, like the old days, if there is any hope of survival and rebuilding society after a total collapse of civilization.
this!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.