JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought i thought was a quality set of rock sliders from t&t customs. Its been less than 6 months and they are already rusting through. I garage my jeep and wash it regularly. I contacted them and they wont do anything for me this is bad business. I put on wheels, a lift, and teraflex carrier (all black powder coat) all at the View attachment 68033 ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370627370.108032.jpg same time and they are all pristine

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
So i bought i thought was a quality set of rock sliders from t&t customs. Its been less than 6 months and they are already rusting through. I garage my jeep and wash it regularly. I contacted them and they wont do anything for me this is bad business. I put on wheels, a lift, and teraflex carrier (all black powder coat) all at the View attachment 68033 View attachment 68034 same time and they are all pristine
This recent thread didn't go to well for someone with your (very similar) complaint.

You should have added to that for more impact, less clutter, and keeping threads in the right spot. I see TECH up there... not "Vaginal Sand Washing." ;)

·
Registered
11,065 Posts

·
22,098 Posts
Well at least its in the right spot now.

I really don't think you are going to get any sympathy here. They make some awesome shit for the JK. So go get the shit blasted and powdercoated and call it a day.

·
22,098 Posts

·
Administrator
8,749 Posts
I would normaly agree with the masses here... but 6 months old and rusting sucks.

Fairly sure T&T aren't doing the powder coat themselves... they may need a chat with their coating guy especially if there is any sort of history with this.

But really, what do you want them to do... you really want to take them off and ship them back over this??

Rattle can and call it a day, or better yet take them off and bring them to local LINE-X guy and never see rust in that spot again.

:beer:

(Full disclosure.. I work for LINE-X :thefinger: )

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Unfortunately powdercoating isn't a dipping process which ensures material that is -unseen- is covered. You bought a powdercoated part and got it, expecting the material that is within that gap between the two parts to be coated/sealed/rust-proofed with the powdercoating process is unreasonable.

They're rock sliders, go drag your powdercoated rock sliders on rocks and scratch them up..like you should! :thefinger:

It's not bad business...it's corrosion, it costs this nation billions of dollars every year. It's extremely hard to control, it's unreasonable to consider powdercoating as a "100% rust-proof coating of the part".

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
Unfortunately powdercoating isn't a dipping process which ensures material that is -unseen- is covered. You bought a powdercoated part and got it, expecting the material that is within that gap between the two parts to be coated/sealed/rust-proofed with the powdercoating process is unreasonable.

They're rock sliders, go drag your powdercoated rock sliders on rocks and scratch them up..like you should! :thefinger:

It's not bad business...it's corrosion, it costs this nation billions of dollars every year. It's extremely hard to control, it's unreasonable to consider powdercoating as a "100% rust-proof coating of the part".
IDK man.... I have had parts powdercoated locally for my bikes and have never seen anywhere near the issues I see with aftermarket jeep parts that have been coated (and those bike parts have been out in a marine environment for years... as much as ten for some parts!). Something tells me either they have a better process in California or the aftermarket is not giving us what we pay for. The former is impossible with our inflated regulations.... the latter is nearly impossible to prove.

Never the less.... these are sliders. They should be getting scratched up and abused. They will not hold any coating for long. And I think you should all do what I do.... stop buying coated parts and just invest in a case of krylon.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Too bad black is like the new chrome and those companies who try to make a functional product at a reasonable price have to deal with stuff like this.

At this price point what do you expect? You want pretty? You want rugged? Either is fine but don't expect them both at this price. Why do you think the price of the premier sliders is about double? Its because those companies really do try to offer both AND have to budget for the whinny bitches who call and expect a handjob because whinny bitch's "super extreme duty rock basher rails or bumper" had an ugly little blemish from shipping or handling. Why do you think so many now only offer product in bare steel? Answer: history of dealing with whinny cry babies.

They're rock rails, get a can of paint.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I have to tell you I agree with the OP that this is a manufacturing defect.

I did not see the other post about T&T rails rusting before now. But reading that I also agree that that rail had defective powder coating as well.

Not everyone buys their Jeep to bang on rocks. And for those that don't, they should not be expected to need to get under their rig with a wire brush, flap wheel and can of Rustoleum to keep their premium hard-coated parts from getting rusty. To you and me that might be normal maintenance, but not to some guy who's biggest off-road adventure is a picnic on the beach or a campsite at the end of a graded, unpaved road.

This is not normal and should not be expected behavior for powder-coated parts. Unless the owner has banged or scraped through the coating, these rails should not rust.

·
Registered
11,065 Posts
IDK man.... I have had parts powdercoated locally for my bikes and have never seen anywhere near the issues I see with aftermarket jeep parts that have been coated (and those bike parts have been out in a marine environment for years... as much as ten for some parts!). Something tells me either they have a better process in California or the aftermarket is not giving us what we pay for. The former is impossible with our inflated regulations.... the latter is nearly impossible to prove.

Never the less.... these are sliders. They should be getting scratched up and abused. They will not hold any coating for long. And I think you should all do what I do.... stop buying coated parts and just invest in a case of krylon.
Yep seen it at work with one of the powder coaters we've used. Could be bad surface prep. If we sent them a part with cutting oil residue, weld slag and/or rust we would receive a powder coated product as such. Only after some parts had similar issues did we find out there was an extra charge for them to clean and prepare the surfaces for coating. :cwm13:

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Unfortunately powdercoating isn't a dipping process
^^^ This

Actually it's not that easy to get to some spots depending on the design.

Many years ago GOBI had to figure out how to solve this with the welding on the mesh part of their racks. Basically if you have little crevasses your are eventually going to get rust unless you can get some paint in there.

This is how they did it so the paint gets where it needs to be. Actually I've had people complain thinking it's a mistake or bad weld, but it's not, it's the only way to ensure the paint gets in there.

03964853.jpg

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
^^^ This

Actually it's not that easy to get to some spots depending on the design.

Many years ago GOBI had to figure out how to solve this with the welding on the mesh part of their racks. Basically if you have little crevasses your are eventually going to get rust unless you can get some paint in there.

This is how they did it so the paint gets where it needs to be. Actually I've had people complain thinking it's a mistake or bad weld, but it's not, it's the only way to ensure the paint gets in there.

View attachment 68037
And then when the metal gets stretched and deformed from use, it will rattle like crazy.

I'll take the rust.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts