JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the other day when at a stop light that there was what appeared to be smoke coming from my radiator. I noticed this once before which was the 3rd day after I bought the Jeep which was in July and then it never did it again until yesterday. Any idea what this may be?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Was it rainy or wet outside? Was there a smell associated with the smoke? Could just be residual moisture on the radiator vaporizing. If it smells, could be something contacting the radiator...

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Mine does it all the time when there is any water on my Jeep. Or when I hit a big water puddle :innocent: It's just a Jeep thing ;) Unless it smells bad don't worry too much about it :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mine does it whenever I run it through a car wash, or go through any water that hits the front end.. Freaked my son out the first time he saw it.. he thought the jeep was on fire!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Yeah, mine does that when it's wet too. My Mom gets all concerned when she sees it smoking. Yep, it's a Jeep thing.
The first time I took it wheeling off-road I went through a BIG puddle and it smoked for at least 30 minutes. All the other non-JK Jeep owners I was wheeling with were like "that thing is still smoking??!" Got a lot of shit for being the "new JK" with the older models... I think they were trying to scare me a little. :thefinger:
I don't scare that easy. :smokin:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Happens usually every time I wash ours...... also happened when a bird got in behind the grille... found a dead yellow finch

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nice Thread... good to know and I have noticed it a few times on my jeep(car wash and rain). Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts
I noticed this once and freaked out a little bit. I pored over every inch of the motor, but never found anything out of place. Never saw it again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Like everyone is saying, it's probably nothing, but you should check your sparkplug fluid just to be on the safe side. Sometimes, it starts to leak, and you'll see wisps of smoke as it burns off on the engine head. When it gets too low, then you're in real trouble.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve never noticed a smell before associated with it. The first time was in July, I parked the Jeep and when I got out I noticed it was smoking and I was like WTF? It looks like it’s coming right off the radiator. But it’s good to know that this is a normal jeep thing. Thanks a ton guys.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mine done it right after an oil change. The nimrod at the dealership spilled oil all over the valve cover and it made its way down to the manifold. Called and gave em s**t about it and got the next change for free. Had to drag out the preasure washer to get rid of the smell of burning oil. I guess good help is getting hard to come by.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts