JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wondering what these two things are.

The green one is a button switch which when held down will turn on/off what ever it controls with an associated green light. It also has two small contacts and looks like an attachment can be hooked up.

I think the other one is the diagnostic plug, but I thought those were usually hidden more.

Sorry for the crappy pic

Thanks for any info!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
The black one is the OBDII port. That other thing is aftermarket. You have anything aftermarket installed? Remote start maybe? That could be a valet switch.

See if you can follow those two wires.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured the one is the diagnostic.

As for following wires, I did but they disappear beyond where I can follow them.

I bought it used. Its previous life was an RV tow behind.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Mine had some dealy on it from the factory which was some dealer pre-alarm install kit or something. Had them remove it when I took it in for warranty the first time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pre-alarm? did it look like the one in my pic?

Another alarm would really help me out, being that I don't lock it and leave the keys under the seat so I don't have to carry them in my pocket!

·
Registered
13,230 Posts

Another alarm would really help me out, being that I don't lock it and leave the keys under the seat so I don't have to carry them in my pocket!
Not identical but in the same location. It was some dealer installed option that you could pay extra for and they would activate it and give you fobs.

They never asked me if I wanted it. Probably because it's pretty pointless with manual locks. A

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
5,839 Posts

do you not care about your jeep? sheesh get a carabiner and clip it on a belt buckle:shaking:

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
LOL, free Jeep in CoCal if you can find it! Mine is parked inside under lock most of the time but when I'm on the road I'd like to have an alarm with a motion detector.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the green switch almost looks like the ABS/esp/traction control kill switch mod. it's tough to tell for sure though. the purple wire is what's making me think that.

when you turn the switch on (or off) do you get any warning lights on the dash?
check to make sure the traction control lights still work. push the traction control button once to turn it off and you should get a light on the dash, push again to turn it back on and the light will go off.

if the green switch controls the abs/esp/traction control thing you'll get that light again (as well as two others)

·
Registered
244 Posts
The green switch could be for a brake servo if it was used as a tow behind vehicle to activate the brakes from the tow vehicle? see if there is a trailer plug on the front of the jeep where they tied into the light's and brakes?

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Not to Worry

If what you say is true, then the chances are you will not have the jeep long enough for it to be a problem. :shaking: Do you carry full coverage insurance?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

In SoCal? Mine has 2 alarms, an auto tire deflater, the CLUB, bars on my windows, and I bury my keys (after I remove my winch) in the backyard. :shaking:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts