JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm specifically looking for information on the 07+ trucks.

I have owned lots and lots of trucks and 98% of them wore a Bowtie. I've owned two Dodges...one with the 4.7(05) and one with a 5.9 Cummins (07). All were great trucks that never let me down in any department.

We have had it with this POS 2010 WK Limited that we bought and Jennie wants a GMC Crew Cab. WINNING! We went out and took a look at a few over the holidays and I'm kind of surprised by how crappy the interiors are on the new trucks.

Does anyone have long term experience with them? I know the motor and running gear are good to go, it's the interior resiliency that I'm looking at more than anything. I will most likely buy one with cloth and have custom leather put in it because the new factory leather looks like ass.

We might go take a closer look at the Dodge but I have lost almost all faith in the HEMI drivetrain after owning this WK for a few months. There are a few differences, which is the only reason I'm even mentioning it, but I will NEVER buy another WK nor recommend them to anyone I don't despise. :laughing:

Marcus

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I have no experience with GM half tons personally, but do with the newer Ram trucks. Had an 09 1500 4x4 quad cab hemi sport. Put 55,xxx miles on it before I got my rig now without so much as a hiccup. Interior was comfortable as could be with a good fit and finish, and drove great.

Not sure if that helps you at all lol!

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It actually does Greg. I'm reading over some comparisons now and the RamTrucks.com website is making the differences quite apparent. I completely forgot about the rear coil suspension on these which makes me want one even more.

The problem is I've got Jennie to contend with and as much complaining as I've done about this WK we have I'm not sure she's going to let me have much say. However...390 HP vs 300 and change will help my case.

Marcus

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Interiors hold up well. Coffee, dog kids, no problem. Cloth seats are comfortable too. I like the leather I had in my '04. My '06 cloth held up nice. Sorry its not the years you are looking for.

If you are looking for bling, Ford does that.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've had an 00, two 03s, and an 06. I know those things are like riding on a couch with very well thought out features and materials.

When I look at the interior on the new one I feel like I'm looking at an old Honda or something. They really went downhill in terms of the material choices and even the layout. It's horrible!

I have done some searching for an 06 CC Z71 with about 25K miles on it. That'd be ideal!

**I wouldn't drive a Ford without a diesel in it.

Marcus

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
It actually does Greg. I'm reading over some comparisons now and the RamTrucks.com website is making the differences quite apparent. I completely forgot about the rear coil suspension on these which makes me want one even more.

The problem is I've got Jennie to contend with and as much complaining as I've done about this WK we have I'm not sure she's going to let me have much say. However...390 HP vs 300 and change will help my case.

Marcus
I'll say that the ride/handling of the Ram truck is what sold me when looking. I did test drive all the half tons, minus the nissan titan (because i think they're gay) and found the Ram felt the best of them. I did like the F150's a bit too, but the 5.4 I thought was underpowered. Might want to check out the newer f150's with the eco-boost or the 5.0's in there now too. Interiors are nice and quite comfortable.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've had 05 extended cab, 07 1500 4 door and 08 2500 4 door diesel.

All of these are work trucks for my dad's business. I drive the 07 everyday, the 05 got wrecked by a semi.

Anyway the 07 is fully loaded pretty much and the 08 is. 08 has about 37k while the 07 has 110k. I've never done anything to the 07 other than change the oil and the the maintenance listed in the book. As far as GM motors go you can't beat them the LK9 is basically a LS motor with a iron block. In my honset opinion from working on cars/ trucks everyday you can't beat a GM motor, I'm saying this coming from ford as I use to drag race them. The LS motor are so snout from the factory that we use to put them in to our fox bodies throw 100 shot or add a nice size turbo with a th400 and go run 9's all day long for cheap!

·
Registered
496 Posts
I'll say that the ride/handling of the Ram truck is what sold me when looking. I did test drive all the half tons, minus the nissan titan (because i think they're gay) and found the Ram felt the best of them. I did like the F150's a bit too, but the 5.4 I thought was underpowered. Might want to check out the newer f150's with the eco-boost or the 5.0's in there now too. Interiors are nice and quite comfortable.
The eco-boost is simple..the shit lol

·
Registered
549 Posts
I had an 07 new body style was a great truck. They come with 2 different style interiors. You get the basic truck interior or the nicer tahoe/Yukon style interior. Shoot me an email or a PM with your questions or what your looking at. I've been a tech with GM going on 13 years so I'm pretty knowledgeable about them. It's the least I can do with all the Jeep help you've given me.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
My brother got a fully loaded '07 Classic 2500HD with the 6.6 and he can't say enough about the interior. He actually went from LI to Atlanta to pick it up. I must say that it is very comfortable and the ergonomics of it all makes for a very driver-friendly cabin.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My brother got a fully loaded '07 Classic 2500HD with the 6.6 and he can't say enough about the interior. He actually went from LI to Atlanta to pick it up. I must say that it is very comfortable and the ergonomics of it all makes for a very driver-friendly cabin.
The 03-07 Classic interiors were the best interiors they ever put in them. I keep trying to talk her into an 07 Classic Z-71 crew cab. She loved the last one but I can't find one with low enough mileage around here. I'd love to find one with about 25-30K miles on it.

Here's my last GMFS:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
No updates yet. Had some free time tonight and took her to see the new Twilight movie...lmao!

She's all over the place with what she wants. I'm just gonna let her figure it out for now. :)
Never pegged you for a twighlight fan Marcus! :rainbow: Team jacob or edward lol :thefinger:

In all seriousness, it's always best to let the ladies figure out what they want. Then if they're not happy it falls into the category of tough shit! :beer:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Any updates?

Earlier this fall my wife and I were in the same position. I decided early on that I would go looking and test driving trucks without any predjudices. We test drove everything in a 1/2t flavour.

We quickly narrowed down our search and dropped the GMC/Chevy first. We found it was absolutely lacking in the power department and in the interior finish. A small thing I know but, I could not get over the really skinny steering wheel. Felt like there was nothing to hold on to.

We liked the Toyota, but found it out of our price range with the options we wanted.

We didn't like the Nissan's looks.

We did like the ford. Great power (eco-boost) and looks with good milage.

We also liked the RAM. Great agressive looks and power with a smooth ride.

Came down to pricing...

Here's the wife's new truck:

·
Registered
13,219 Posts
Friend of mine has a 2009? 5.3L Silverado, if that driveline is in the running...it tows a Jeep like a turd. Steel/flat trailer with a TJ w/one-tons + armor tows like you are pulling a tractor trailer behind it at highway speed.

·
Premium Member
3,067 Posts
I loved my '10 Ram 1500. Smooth, powerfull and towed amazingly well for a 1/2 ton (7 pin is standard with towing package and intergrated trailer brake is available as well). When we were shoping it came down to the Ram and the Ford, Ram won simply because equally equiped it was several thousand cheaper.

That said, when you come across a great deal sometimes you have to take it. I traded my '10 Ram last week for a Ram 2500. 12k below sticker, locking axles, 4.56 gears, elec. disconecting swaybar, 12k Factory Warn Winch, etc, etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.