JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get an actual measurement of one that isn't mounted to a rim.
315/70/r17.
Tirerack claims they should be 34.4 inches. but mine measured 34 inches(mounted on a rim)

·
Registered
965 Posts
34.4 is the mathematical conversion of that tire size to a diameter. I'm guessing that's where the tirerack number comes from.

It's very common for tires to be 0.5-1" smaller than their advertised size. Not sure about this one in particular, hopefully someone will have the measurement for you, but I'm not surprised by what you are seeing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I thought the tire size would be pretty accurate coming out of production. Mine measured exactly 33.75" mounted on my Jeep. Also seems weird to me that there can be so many variables when companies are making the exact same tire on the same equipment?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I have 325/65-18's which mathematically are like 34.6. They measure closer to 33.5. I've loved my Duratracs and would buy another set in a heartbeat but they do run on the smaller side.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 325/65-18's which mathematically are like 34.6. They measure closer to 33.5. I've loved my Duratracs and would buy another set in a heartbeat but they do run on the smaller side.
A lot of tires tend to from what I've seen. (not all but a lot) I am just wondering not mounted, how tall they are actually.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Mine physically measured 33.6 when new when I was performing the chalk test, also 26-28 was the right air pressure for my Jeep.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine physically measured 33.6 when new when I was performing the chalk test, also 26-28 was the right air pressure for my Jeep.
Thanks for the reply but I'm looking for the measurement not mounted on a rim. Too many variables when they are mounted to get an accurate comparison for what I need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts