JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of swapping engines in my son's Tacoma. He really has no interest in auto repair. He offered to help but I decided to do it alone. He went fishing one of the days and it got me thinking. This stuff IS my fishing, it is very relaxing/rewarding.
The truck

The Donor

Engine Out

Anyway you get the idea:D although I enjoy doing it as a hobby much more than out of necessity as this one was.

Who else would rather be turning a wrench than other common recreation activities?

·
Premium Member
1,452 Posts
Wrenching

I'm in the process of swapping engines in my son's Tacoma. He really has no interest in auto repair. He offered to help but I decided to do it alone. He went fishing one of the days and it got me thinking. This stuff IS my fishing, it is very relaxing/rewarding.
The truck

The Donor

Engine Out

Anyway you get the idea:D although I enjoy doing it as a hobby much more than out of necessity as this one was.

Who else would rather be turning a wrench than other common recreation activities?
I like wrenching just fine. My problem is that as I get older it gets harder to get up the next day after a major project like installing a lift kit..... But still I hate to pay for things I can do my self! Plus if I did it and there is a problem then I know who to blame for it! :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Used to be one of my favorite things but all the bending does bad things to my back. Someday, however, I will have a nice lift installed in the barn.......:D

·
Premium Member
15,301 Posts
As my back gets stiffer and my tools get more out dated along with my skill level...it goes either way. I love to do some of the wrenching on the jeep- but there is some stuff that gets frustrating- especially on the JK.

Or you could be like a buddy of mine,,,and when someone else picks up a tool to try and help him out, he just squirms and cringes at the thought of someone else stepping in. He eventually will grab the tool out of your hand before you can do damage. :D

He knows who he is...:beer:

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear what you're saying about the work getting harder to get over with age. The main thing I am missing is a garage or at least a concrete pad. If you notice the work conditions there I have a gravel driveway, a cardboard water heater box for a creeper and a series of metal tracks for the engine lift.:rasta:

·
Registered
898 Posts
I used to have those same issues.............then I built a nice barn to house my toys. Unfortunately, I f'd up my back in the process, so now the toys mostly just sit. On the plus side, MS Contin doesn't suck. :D

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry to hear that. Here's wishing you a full recovery:beer:.

I have to watch how I move or I'll injure my bad knee and be in a brace for a few days. It does suck not being able to do things as we once did, reminds me of that old saying "it's a shame youth is wasted on the young".

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Fishin' kinda pisses me off. Just never been good at it I guess. Cept for the time I went on a pro charter trip in San Diego and caught a buncha bonito. That was fun.

I've been wrenchin' on cars since I was 12yo and even worked as a mechanic for a few years. I like the satisfaction of doing a good job and saving money but yeah as I get older I like it less and less. I tend to procrastinate and only fix things when they break. I guess if I had money to buy cool parts I would feel more motivated to finish all the projects I have.

So to answer the question: I guess I like wrenchin' more because I know how. But both suck :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Here's wishing you a full recovery:beer:.

I have to watch how I move or I'll injure my bad knee and be in a brace for a few days. It does suck not being able to do things as we once did, reminds me of that old saying "it's a shame youth is wasted on the young".
1) Thanks :beer:

2) "youth wasted on the young"...............that's a fact. :D

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Never liked wrenching...rather fly 'em, drive 'em, or sail 'em....oh...I'd rather be fishin':smokin:

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
A bad day on cardboard is better then a good day of fishing. I've never been much for watching water evaporate.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
I can only get away with that cuz I'm a pilot too. Except I flew real airplanes and not those "contraptions". :D
Hehh heh heh...whoya' gonna' call when your azz is in the middle of a jungle clearing about the size of a kiddy pool...some AF dude in a B-52??? :thefinger::thefinger:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.