JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New tie rod end? - YouTube

Based on the video here, what do you guys think? I am not sure of how much play is normal and what is not normal. I have been having problems with front end vibration and I wanted to rule out my tie rod ends. Next im gonna check my ball joints.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
The video is far from still enough for me to be able to see what it's doing when changing directions. Stock tie rod ends seem to not be a common problem on these vehicles. Rotating the bar by hand isn't determining anything but it being bolted to the knuckle as well.

Just my opinion.

Sent via paper airplane

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, I didn't know if it was normal or not to be able to pull up and down, with some play, on the tie rod like depicted in the video. I figured that it was normal considering you are also able to do it with the drag link as well...

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I don't know about the tie rod ends, but you should really refrain from shaking your ***** in the air on the Internet... :laughing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZpoxE5Jw7o
Hahahhaha. You like that shit don't you? My girlfriend made me post that up. Hahhahahah. Thats so funny you saw that. Im officially embarrassed.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Do you still run the stock steering stabilizer? If so change it.... NOW

They're tiny pieces of shit.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I am still running the stocker. Any recommendations as to which one to get?

·
Registered
442 Posts
I went with the Bilstein 5100 stabilizer. Been happy with it on both of our Jeeps. There is one small company that even builds brackets for a dual 5100 Stabilzer that I'd consider if we ran more than 2 1/2" of lift.

I will warn, on one of my Jeeps the sleeve inside the bushing on one end of the stock stabilizer had rusted solid to the bolt holding it in place. Had to cut the bolt. Also, sometimes that same bolt can be very difficult to remove just due to tight confines. Little prying will do the trick. Took 3 hours to remove one stabilizer, took me 10 minutes to swap the other. Results have been great

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went with the Bilstein 5100 stabilizer. Been happy with it on both of our Jeeps. There is one small company that even builds brackets for a dual 5100 Stabilzer that I'd consider if we ran more than 2 1/2" of lift.

I will warn, on one of my Jeeps the sleeve inside the bushing on one end of the stock stabilizer had rusted solid to the bolt holding it in place. Had to cut the bolt. Also, sometimes that same bolt can be very difficult to remove just due to tight confines. Little prying will do the trick. Took 3 hours to remove one stabilizer, took me 10 minutes to swap the other. Results have been great

Damn, lets hope I don't have that same experience. Let me ask, did you notice any difference in performance from a new stabilizer though? I have heard that you don't notice a difference at all, when compared to a perfectly functioning stock one that is.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
How much lift you have and what steering stabilizer you have share absolutely nothing in common.

Nobody, ever, "needs" dual steering stabilizers. Period. I ran the stock one just fine with 35s until I hit it. Its a dampener for minor imbalances and road feedback, it's nothing more and shouldn't be used as anything more. Or other problems start to become masked.

Dual stabilizers are like running dual shocks because your springs bottom out too quickly. Instead of fixing the problem.

Sent via paper airplane

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
^^^ This. The only thing I suggest with the stabilizer is get a PolyPerf Flip to keep it from getting smashed.

Speaking of which, I should install mine tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
^^^ This. The only thing I suggest with the stabilizer is get a PolyPerf Flip to keep it from getting smashed.

Speaking of which, I should install mine tomorrow. :D
Make sure you have extended bump stops

Sent via paper airplane

1 - 13 of 13 Posts