JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot a u-joint through the front passanger fender flare, I've since replaced the axle shaft, now the axle's leaking I have a arb air locker in the axle the dealership said they'd change the seal and charge me 90.00 so I said go ahead. Now they said they don't want to touch it because of the air locker. They're not sure what they're doing.
So I called the local offroading shop and they said it would need a special tool to get the old seal out and that at 3.6hrs labor and 75.00 per hour it will cost a s*it load.
I have the seal, can I do this or do I need that tool? and on a scale of 1-10 how hard is an axle seal swap?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just curious, were you full left lock on the gas hard and hopping it? What size tires are you running? Sorry to hear about the busted stuff and the cost for repair....

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
You need to remove the axle shafts, and pull the diff. A special tool is needed, but I bet you can pick up a seal puller at Harbor Freight for a few bucks that will do the job. You'll also need a special tool to put the new seal in, but again I'm betting HF will have one that will work. be careful putting the axle shafts back in, as it is easy to damage the seals when doing so.

It is not a difficult job, but not exactly easy either of you've never done one before.

·
Registered
209 Posts
The seal is in board, it is fairly simple to remove the seal, but to get to the seal you will have to remove the ring gear and carrier, again to bad a job to remove; but to fit it back in you have to stretch the axle housing to get the correct loading on the carrier bearings. Seating the seal can be a little tricky as you need to be able to press it in square.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
but to fit it back in you have to stretch the axle housing to get the correct loading on the carrier bearings.
Ever heard of a hammer? ;)

If you use a case expander you'll need a dial caliper too, to make sure you don't expand it too much. A big punch and hammer will get the carrier back in just fine, and as nothing is taken apart you shouldn't have to worry about backlash and patterning.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ever heard of a hammer? ;)
CJ owners tool box 3 different sizes of hammer and an adjustable wrench

:laughing2::laughing2::laughing2:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Don't forget the duct tape for the samurai guys. lol :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
I thought that bad lanuage was not allowed on this forum, :shaking: I come on to forums over there (USA) to avoid such words as L**D RO**ER can't these words be banned. I did have one many many years ago but I got better :bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Just curious, were you full left lock on the gas hard and hopping it? What size tires are you running? Sorry to hear about the busted stuff and the cost for repair....
I was locked backing up a hill, and had to turn a little to get that fender around a tree. Running 35's. Thanks for your help guys it worked out great getting around with the ARB was a little tricky but all in all it was about a 2.5hr job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts