JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on-line and noticed manual disconnect sway/bar links available on quadratic.com for about $110.

Granted I am not going to be hardcore on my Jeep I was wondering if this was a necessity if you are going off road? Does it really help the performance on the vehicle.

I was planning on buying one of the 2" budget boost first and then saving my money to buy the disconnect later.

·
Registered
9,139 Posts
Get the quick discos... you will get tired of crawling underneath and taking the bolts out. I remember thinking.... too easy to just crawl under and unbolt it - now I want a set....

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you're going to be off road where the terrain is pretty bumpy or rough/uneven then I think you will be happy to have disconnects on and disconnected. You will smooth out a bit of the body bouncing and it can help you maintain grip on the road as well.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
The sway bar is for on road use. Its intention is to work from the body to the ground. IN a since, transefering G-force energy from cornering from the body into the axle and creating more traction and stability to the ground.

Offroad it works opposite. It will transefer the uneveness of the ground into the body. Essentially not allowing the axle to articulate without taking the body with it. So basically, your passenger will be banging thier head on the side window all day, lol.

Disconnecting allows the axel to more freely move seperate from the body.

IS it essential to do on mild offroad? NO

More hardcore offroad? yes, will allow more traction

MOre comfortable ride offroad? MUCH better ride on any difficulty of trail

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So is there a brand that anyone would recommend. Again, I am not going to be crawling, just need something that is going to work well, take some abuse but doesnt need to be the best.

·
Registered
326 Posts
;

I was looking on-line and noticed manual disconnect sway/bar links available on quadratic.com for about $110.

Granted I am not going to be hardcore on my Jeep I was wondering if this was a necessity if you are going off road? Does it really help the performance on the vehicle.

I was planning on buying one of the 2" budget boost first and then saving my money to buy the disconnect later.
You don't need them but nice to have. Smooths out the ride when off road.

·
Vendor
1,074 Posts
1. Yes, smooths out the ride in moderate to rugged trails--if you are a trail bomber--cruising 15+mph in washes, dunes, or mud, then don't bother.
2. Most important: improves your tire contact with the ground in uneven terrain. If you are not running lockers, it is almost a necessity, IMO. Even with TCS, you will get significant tire spin in only 12" ruts and rocks.

My favorite disconnect for the JK so far: JKS quicker disco. Very quick and easy install, and you don't have to worry about tying up anything, because you simply quick-pin both ends and put the links in the glove box. And all you need to install is an 18mm, 19mm (or 3/4), and a slim philips screwdriver (or other strong slender object to slide through the pin hole to hold the bolt steady while you tighten).

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts