JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's da plan: Add gunmetal bluing on all hinges for the Jeep.

First Problem:
Aluminum doesn't take to the slow rust bluing that most gunsmiths swear by. Some chemical/metallurgical shit I didn't 100% follow, but anodizing sounds to be the process one would use on an Aluminum part, not the slow rust bluing that I had in mind. Thing is, my Jeep's already steel and putting Al & steel together just makes me nervous about the potential for galvanic corrosion. So, the pre-project at this point is to either find a bare steel set of hinges or make em myself. Might just make em to keep it a bona fide DIY.

Still in the thinking about fixin to get ready phase, but I'm kinda set on getting a genuine gunmetal finish on these hinges.

I think if I do this correctly, this is gonna look badass.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am lost on the bluing thing , but how about you get the powder coated to the color you want
Not really into the whole powdercoating thing. It's been done. I'm looking to learn something about an art that's lost on a whole lot of people, not just you. This is really a majority of the reason I want to learn how to do it in the first place.

Plus, I think it would be fuckin badass when someone asks where I got these bitchin hinges, I can tell em that I blued em. And when they ask where I sent em to get done, I can tell em "my backyard". :smokin:

·
Premium Member
3,066 Posts
Not really into the whole powdercoating thing. It's been done. I'm looking to learn something about an art that's lost on a whole lot of people, not just you. This is really a majority of the reason I want to learn how to do it in the first place.

Plus, I think it would be fuckin badass when someone asks where I got these bitchin hinges, I can tell em that I blued em. And when they ask where I sent em to get done, I can tell em "my backyard". :smokin:
Not sure how much fab it would take, but CJ/YJ/TJ hinges are steel. I know you can order them raw as well (cheap too). Maybe its time to try your hand at some fab/modification '50s style!

·
Registered
1,929 Posts

i dont think this project would fit into your "mods when you have mod money" plan...

just sayin remember that pucker factor you had this weekend? bluing your hinges wont save your motor

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure how much fab it would take, but CJ/YJ/TJ hinges are steel. I know you can order them raw as well (cheap too). Maybe its time to try your hand at some fab/modification '50s style!
Could be. I know a guy who has CJ doors, but I think he wants to keep his hinges intact for now. Besides, I'm pretty sure the shape has changed a little over the past few models.

I think that 50's style Fab may be how I end up doing it, which is good, because I have a shop right across the street that I was chatting up over the weekend. I think they might let me use some of their tools.

The more I read up on it, the more I want to learn how to do this, so it could end up being that I anodize the hinges in the color I'm gunning for (yeah, pun was totally intended there) and do my windshield brackets and other accessories in gunmetal blue.

Also looking into barrel browning, which also produces some cool looking finishes and seems relatively easy to do.

i dont think this project would fit into your "mods when you have mod money" plan...

just sayin remember that pucker factor you had this weekend? bluing your hinges wont save your motor
LOL - when your Dad's a chemist, this sort of shit is free and is something that can be a cool father/son project that won't cost very much at all.

As far as those pucker moments, I just took a shit earlier and I'm still cleaning seat cushion outta there from my damn-near-hydro'd moment. Remember your Mud Run dip? Pretty sure I went deeper. :eek:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
LOL - when your Dad's a chemist, this sort of shit is free and is something that can be a cool father/son project that won't cost very much at all.

As far as those pucker moments, I just took a shit earlier and I'm still cleaning seat cushion outta there from my damn-near-hydro'd moment. Remember your Mud Run dip? Pretty sure I went deeper. :eek:
nice...i feel you only get one of those...its like one across the bow...a warning

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.