JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was looking at buying a set of Nemisis' brackets, while they are an extremely nice product..I was looking for a little fabrication project to mess with. I decided I wanted to keep the rotation within the same factory shock mount since frame clearance is not a concern with mine and I wasn't excited about putting the bind in the shock by moving it out unecessarily. I ended up raising the shock mount about 1-1/2" over stock, which is a little more than I wanted to..but I have the room to do it.

Anyway here is what I ended up with, excuse my welds.

I still have the other side to do, but I'll leave this as-is to give it some time to see if it'll give me any trouble...but I doubt they will.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
looks good man. Are you saying the nemesis mounts put a bind on the shocks? Or am in misunderstanding this? TIA

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I wish i could fab stuff. :(
nice work!
Thanks, I am just getting started at this stuff myself, as you can probably tell. This was done with a drill, small chop saw and a 90a Harbor Freight welder that was given to me and I taught myself to weld with. I am far from a "fabricator" with the tools I have..one day I hope to step that up a notch and have a little higher quality to what I can produce!

looks good man. Are you saying the nemesis mounts put a bind on the shocks? Or am in misunderstanding this? TIA
Well here is my take on the design. It's just some forum-junkies opinion, so I am not trying to bash it one way or the other.

The idea behind getting the frame clearance for shocks by moving the lower mount out is an awesome bolt-on solution. Works great if that is your problem.

However, my initial intention was to make a mount similar to how they have theirs, with the lowers kicked out some. The changing the lower mount angle will provide smoother shock travel when each side is moving independently (trail/flexing). However since the mount is no longer perpendicular to the ground, the shock is less effective; more resistant to movement than when perpendicular...it takes more work to move the shock since it's line of motion is no longer linear. Which should make bumps in the road more amplified. Now my take on ride changes, your take on ride changes and the eleventy other member's of this forum is going to be different. From a design aspect, it will increase the firmness of the ride where the whole axle wants to move within the same line of motion. If anyone ever notices, I have no idea..but my ride is firm enough as is and I was able to go around that concern completely.

This became more apparent to me when just mocking up a similar mount. The SkyJacker upper shock mount/stud design is not too thrilled about the lower being ~15* out compared to the top, the bushing was in a bind to begin with.

Their bracket is a great solution for frame clearance, it can provide more anti-sway/lateral stability (mine Jeep needs that like a rod through the block), but depending on your springs, center of gravity, etc...that may be a benefit to you. However in my case, the only real benefit is to move the mount 90*, which is what I did. I also got a little more travel out of it since I have the clearance at full compression.

..But I wouldn't be surprised to see someone market this same thing in the near future :lol:

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Their bracket is a great solution for frame clearance, it can provide more anti-sway/lateral stability (mine Jeep needs that like a rod through the block), but depending on your springs, center of gravity, etc...that may be a benefit to you. However in my case, the only real benefit is to move the mount 90*, which is what I did. I also got a little more travel out of it since I have the clearance at full compression.

..But I wouldn't be surprised to see someone market this same thing in the near future :lol:
This is why i am looking into the nemesis mount, seeing that you know quite a bit more than i do, do think this would be beneficial to me i am running RK 2.5" max pro with RRDs 35s on a two door. thanks for your help

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is why i am looking into the nemesis mount, seeing that you know quite a bit more than i do, do think this would be beneficial to me i am running RK 2.5" max pro with RRDs 35s on a two door. thanks for your help
For my rig, the factory front sway bar is beefy enough to handle all the sway I get with ~3.5" of lift. In my opinion. I actually could stand to put my rear sway bar back on to help it work a little harder, it'll pull a front tire off the ground if I get in the throttle leaving a U-turn without the rear bar on it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
For my rig, the factory front sway bar is beefy enough to handle all the sway I get with ~3.5" of lift. In my opinion. I actually could stand to put my rear sway bar back on to help it work a little harder, it'll pull a front tire off the ground if I get in the throttle leaving a U-turn without the rear bar on it. :lol:
ya i dont get much "sway" with my setup i do have both sway bars hooked up tho, i think i might look for something else to put that money towards. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went ahead and made the other side this morning.

Lovely eh?

·
Registered
191 Posts
that is a great Idea. I see why you would do something like that. I may have to make my own. thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
While on topic of shock mounts. I made some new rear shock mounts today, started with the passenger side. I'll tackle the driver's side once I see how things go and if I want to change anything on them. The lower shock bushing/mount is a bit more exposed than I'd like it to, I'll probably skid that somehow. My welder and I had some disagreements today, damn thing kept cutting out on me...ah well..

Moved the lower mount up 1-3/8", I am definitely going to need to do some brake line work in the near future. So with a set of these and the fronts, I've added 2-7/8" of shock travel to the Jeep overall:cwm13: we'll see how that goes!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.