JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I finally got around to building a bumper for my JK. A bit of background, we got my wife a 2013 JK, which was handed down when she got a new car. She originally wanted the metal Jeep (MOPAR?) bumper, but it was $1200. So I made a template out of cardboard last year, but never got around to building it. So this week, I set out to build it.

The steel is all 3/16" except the top, which is 1/8". I had the steel sheared to the approximate size, then cut it from there with a cutoff wheel--not fun on the 3/16". I haven't MIGed in 8 or 9 years (be gentle), so I thought about TIGing it. But that would have taken forever. My MIG is just a little 110v machine, so the plan was to weld both sides.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I don't really like how wide it is. So the plan is to trim the wings a few inches. I'm also planning to cut light holes. And of course, finish the welding. A friend has a 220v MIG and a plasma. So I'll finish things up on Saturday.

Also, forgot to mention, I scored the skid plate so I can bend it. First, I used a 1/8" cutoff wheel, then a grinder. I feel it came out pretty well.

Definitely happy for some feedback.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts