JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought I'd do a little write-up on my homebrew version of the rear storage tub enlargement. Overall cost for this mod was very low at roughly $65, which was spent on the new muffler and a couple of clamps, everything else I had laying around. Even if you were to buy the box and some metal to attach it with, you'd probably be spending less than the aftermarket tub options currently on the market. If I were to do it again, however, I'd probably buy a sheet of steel and build the box to fit better, rather than squeeze one of these 81mm mortar shell boxes in there.

First off, you'll have to remove the factory muffler and heat shield (obviously lol) and toss them in the scrap pile. Removing the heat shield is pretty straight forward, 4 11mm nuts, I believe, and it'll come right off.

Next I marked out my cuts. If I were to do this again I would not go so far out on the sides of the factory tub, you'll see why in a minute.

The next step is to cut a gaping hole in your Jeep. The first cut is the hardest. I'll admit I was pretty nervous to cut into a perfectly good Jeep but I knew in the end it would be worth it.

Test fit of the 81mm mortar shell box. Here you can see why not to cut so far from the edge of the factory tub because now all the open area needs to be covered back up and sealed. Oh well, we learn from our mistakes, right?

Recycling some sheet metal I had laying around from I don't know what, I riveted it to the box then laid down some weatherstripping and RTV to seal out the elements and any potential exhaust gasses, then riveted the whole shebang to the floor.

I had originally cut the section out that contained the factory cover latch thingy and decided that since I would be using the factory cover for the time being that I'd also like to reuse the latch as well, so I welded that section back in after modifying the latch to work in the slightly altered location. I covered the exposed metal edges with door edge trim to avoid cuts and scratches. After it was all done, I sprayed it with Duplicolor Truck Bedliner.

And the final step was to install the new muffler. I chose the Dynomax 17230 Ultra Flo Welded muffler similar to the one used in their systems for our Jeeps. Its just barely louder than stock, but has a slightly deeper tone to it.

The last picture shows the stuff I keep in my Jeep laid out and packed away in the new space.

https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
https://postimage.io/app.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ronjenx! I actually have your thread about the deal you made bookmarked and would like to try to do that as well, mostly for the flat floor to sleep on while camping until I can put together a little overland style trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
Nice writeup. I did mine myself too and now have some useful room back there for tools.



And a nice countersunk reverse light.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
Nice writeup. I did mine myself too and now have some useful room back there for tools.



And a nice countersunk reverse light.

Dude , I've been waiting for you to post up some picks of that.who made that and where can we get one ?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very well done, and I actually have one of the ammo boxes siting in my garage :) Any pics on what you did as far as a lid\cover? Where you able to re-use the ammo box?


I reused the factory cover. I had plans to make a locking steel cover but when I got done I liked how it still looked factory until you open it up. One thing I think I forgot to mention before is the ammo can is a very snug fit between the crossmember and the rear jack cubby. I had to cut and push in the edge of the jack cubby to get the can to fit and it's still super tight. To get the can to sit flush with the floor, it pretty much sits on top of the rear sway bar as well so this is why if I were to do it again I'd build a box instead of using a mortar shell can. Good luck to you if you decide to tackle it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
485 Posts
This is a pretty sick idea. I used to be above cutting and trimming the JK, but now she is a just a play toy. This will defiantly happen at some point or another... I just need to find a box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Great job. I needed this inspiration. Getting ready to do this to my little jeep.
Mostly I am looking to make it into a dual battery set-up.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top