JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like my wife really wants me to take her to disneyworld. Besides winning the half billion lottery, what additional advice do those that have been have? We were also looking at the Disney resorts last night too, but have not looked at pricing yet. I appreciate the assistance. :suicide:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Stay somewhere nice but close and off the property. If you have kids the Seralago is nice.
Get subs and fruit and bottled water at walmart to carry in in a back pack. Saves hundreds of dollars.
me/wife/teen/2 kids 5 people, 6 days hotel and tickets is $1700. We save as much on food as possible.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Epcot has beer.... all over the place

Sometimes living in central Fl has its advantages, can be there in just over an hour

·
Registered
575 Posts
We just got back from Disneyland in California. Here's some tips I wish I would have learned beforehand.

1. If you plan on staying in a Disney hotel go ahead and verify the procedures of getting to the park. I.E. monorail, shuttles, cars, buses, legs... whatever. The last thing you want is to get there and then find out the distance/time to get to the fun is greater then you expected.
  2. Verify the average attendance for the dates you are planning on visiting through local community forums/web sites. DO NOT believe Disney employees or travel agents when they tell you that the crowds will be light. Verify their claims with locals because they'll tell you anything to book your vacation.
  3. Find out about any holidays or special events that may be simultaneously happening during your visit. Also, take any holidays seriously even if they're not a big deal where you're from. We arrived in Disneyland on President's Day and even though we expected the actual day to be fairly busy we in no way thought that the ENTIRE freaking week would be holiday sized crowds. In Colorado President's Day is not that big of a deal and most people work. However, in California we learned that President's Day is FREAKING huge, at least in terms of going to Disneyland.
  4. If you have young toddler aged kids just go ahead and rent the stroller. Don't kid yourself, no matter how good little Johnny is at the local mall, he'll benefit greatly from that stroller.
  5. Educate yourself on what FastPasses are and how to use them. We learned that the FastPass system is a game that the locals play very well. The better you are at playing the game then the better experience you'll have, especially if the crowds are larger then you expected.
  6. Be prepared to spend twice as much money as you planned. Those Churos really add up. :eek:

That's about the just of what we kicked ourselves in the ass for not knowing. Regardless, it's hard to have a bad time at Disney.

Have fun. :beer:

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
#1 Bring Money. It is Disney after all.

Like CeeeJay said, if you stay off property and are careful with how you spend money on food, Disney can been done (relatively) cheaply.

If you're going to stay on the resort, go all out and spend the money to stay at a resort that is serviced by the Monorail. The Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Contemporary are the three I can remember offhand. I've been to Disney World several times, and I've done it every way, and being able to hop on the Monorail to get to the parks, or hop on one to go back to the room and chill out for a bit, is totally worth the cost.

Some of the hotels on the property are really nice, but far away. I stayed at the Animal Kingdom lodge right after it opened... totally fantastic hotel, but it was a 15 minute bus ride to get to any of the parks. The next time around I stayed at the Grand Floridian, and it was soooooo much better to take the Monorail. Even got to ride in the cockpit with the operator (which is available to anyone if there's room, so go for it if you have the chance).

Staying on the resort at one of those hotels is, pricewise, a bit of an eye-popping experience, but it also completely immerses you in the Disney experience. Combine that with the meal plans they have available, and you can pretty much have everything you need at hand.

And spend some time at the Showcase of Nations at EPCOT. Each nation has employees from that nation, so you go to Japan, and they're all Japanese... Mexico.. Mexican.. and so on. It's a lot of fun.

Also, like Malo said, look at the dates from an attendance standpoint. For example, if you go during the week of Thanksgiving... it's freaking packed. But the week before that.. totally crickets.

~SoCo

·
Vendor
2,324 Posts
Take a backpack! You dont want to lug stuff around all day. With the pack, you can just throw everything in there and be prepaired! Also, if you go in the heat of summer, freeze water bottles! That way, it stays cold all day. Also, go to wally world and get a hand held fan that sprays water. Nothing nicer than to get cooled off in a 100 heat while waiting in line for a hour!

-Jason

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Gay Day at the Magic Kingdom in Disney World on Saturday, June 2, 2012.:thefinger:
haha..nice! that would have been awkward.

I have no kids, so it would just be the wife and myself. Her list of places to go include Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, Epcot, and the African animal park.

Thank you all for the advice; I really appreciate it. With the places that I mentioned above that she wants to go, how much time to i need budget for each one? Is one day per area appropriate?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Check real good into any place that advertises shuttle service. We didn't know any better when we went. The place we stayed at had free service, but it was only in the morning, noon, and at night. Staying somewhere that has a frequent service will allow you to go back to the room and take a break if you want to. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Fly into Orlando International. The Disney Magical Express will shuttle you for free if you are staying at a Disney resort (means you dont have to rent a car if you are just doing Disney attractions).

We stay at the value resorts (Music, Movies, Sports, Pop Century) and it averages about $131/night. We eat at the huge food court there because they have a large variety to choose from, and you can buy a disney mug for around $13 that you refill for free at the hotel food courts for the duration of your stay. I believe I averaged about $8/breakfast and $10-12/lunch and dinners. Hotel and meals at value resort I would guess at $200. Even though they are "value" resorts they do the job and are not a bad place to stay. $200 plus the cost of your park passes and a little extra for spending money should give you a good ballpark of what it can cost per day.

IMO it is best to buy Park Hoppers that allow you to visit more than one park a day. We usually do 2 parks a day as spending an entire day at one might be overkill.

Hope this helps.

·
It never ends...
2,902 Posts
Stay at one of the Disney deluxe resorts if you can. Disney really does go all out. By staying on the property you can get into parks early or stay late.

The beach club is nice because it is walking distance to Epcot. The new place next to the contemporary hotel is really convenient. The animal kingdom resorts are cool cause of the animals. Next time we go we'll stay one of these last two.

·
Registered
26 Posts
More kid beatings per square mile than any other place on earth.....

But seriously, we got the deluxe meal plan with the wine add on and never made it to breakfast the whole week. The food was awesome we ate like kings but were just too stuffed to ever make it to breakfast.

If you have a big camera to lug around consider a nice backpack. I have a Kata bag that has room enough for my camera body 2 lenses the flash and room for a sunscreen spray or two and a few other small items. Seriously you are going to be humping it the whole trip. Get something comfortable

If you stay on property you will not need a vehicle. Use their bus, tram, etc transportation.

Another thing we did was find out what parks are open late and plan the day around that. We'd pick one park to show up to for lunch and the day then go to the park staying open late and have dinner and really hit the rides while there was limited admission.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Advice about going to Disney World? Don't go! :thefinger:

But if you're already set on it...

- Stay at one of the Disney resorts.
I prefer the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Wilderness Lodge.

- Get the dining plan!
You and your family will eat like kings.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Go buy the book "the Unofficial Guide to Disney World". http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/111801233X

We read it before we went and it made a huge difference. Have a plan on what rides you want to hit and take lunch in with you each day. We would buy one snack in the park each day and only one lunch for the entire time we were there.

The book really gave us some great deals and told us which rides were the best, which ones sucked and the best times of each day to ride them. We maximized the number of rides we rode and minimized line wait times.

Have fun!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Go buy the book "the Unofficial Guide to Disney World". http://www.amazon.com/Unofficial-Guide-Disney-World-Guides/dp/111801233X

We read it before we went and it made a huge difference. Have a plan on what rides you want to hit and take lunch in with you each day. We would buy one snack in the park each day and only one lunch for the entire time we were there.

The book really gave us some great deals and told us which rides were the best, which ones sucked and the best times of each day to ride them. We maximized the number of rides we rode and minimized line wait times.

Have fun!
Just bought the book. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
When we lived in Miami, we had annual passes and would stay at the Days Inn near the entrance to Downtown Disney, for like $50/night.

Now that we no longer drive to Disney, we go every year for a week (6 days/5 nights) for our anniversary near the end of January. We book everything through Disney vacations and get the dining plan and airfare through them as well. We usually stay at a moderate resort like the Port Orleans and we pay around $2200 for 2 adults and a child (4 yrs old now) for everything, including airfare, park tickets and plenty of food. We spend $0 extra (except for gifts, etc).

You'll have a blast! Disney is an unforgettable place. We love it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.