JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I had cut my stock fenders back due to putting on larger tires a few years ago. Over time those fenders wiggled back and fourth and rubbed the paint off on some small areas. I removed them to inspect and noticed some rust beneath the paint on a pinch seam in the fender well. As you can see from the pictures, there was a decent amount to uncover. On the surface it was hardly visible.

I was planning to cut this area out. There is a small width (about 1.5”) of pinch seam that is rusted. There are large vac type tubes that go to the gas tank behind this pinch seam. What tool should I use or avoid to cut this out? I’m concerned about sparks. Once this is done, I plan to use bed liner to protect.

You can also see that in the rear cargo area the body sealant had separated. I removed it and discovered that it was also doing it in the same place on the other side but there is just a tiny dot under the surface of the paint. Is this common?

Hood Light Bumper Automotive exterior Wood
Brown Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades Vehicle door
Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle Tire Tread

·
Registered
453 Posts
My 2010 is doing the same thing. Not as bad as yours though. It's on my list of things to get to before it gets bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 2010 is doing the same thing. Not as bad as yours though. It's on my list of things to get to before it gets bad.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Tire Bumper

this hurts me to cut into it like this. It looks jagged but I am going to smooth the edges down and paint it. Gonna be dry this coming week. It really does seem like some kind of issue because it’s happening on both sides. I just keep telling myself that I can make it look nice and hide it. Battle scars!
I’m taking a break and after that I am going to clean the rust off and break out the grinder to smooth it up. Thank you for your reply!

·
Super Moderator
1,754 Posts
Not a big deal. I bought a north-eastern JK and it has similar bits of rust and pitting where salt and water settled. I just hit it with a flap disk down to raw steel and hit it with the BBQ paint. For that fender maybe clean it up and prime it, followed by some factory ernge touch-up paint. When you sell it, throw some liners in and nobody will be the wiser. 😬

·
Registered
453 Posts
this hurts me to cut into it like this. It looks jagged but I am going to smooth the edges down and paint it. Gonna be dry this coming week. It really does seem like some kind of issue because it’s happening on both sides. I just keep telling myself that I can make it look nice and hide it. Battle scars!
I’m taking a break and after that I am going to clean the rust off and break out the grinder to smooth it up. Thank you for your reply!
Post some after pics of the repair

1 - 5 of 5 Posts