JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what everyones vew is out DT's Certificate of Refund/Replace? Does anyone have any personal experience with using it? Worth the $$?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I have the 4wp certain on my km2s. It's annoying with them you have to pay $50 mount and balance if you use it. I'm not sure I'll buy the certs again, at lest for off road tires. They are so damn durable that it's hard to kill them and a plug not just work for you. Passenger car tires I like them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I've had them on all my tires. Part of the certs include mount and lifetime balance of the rotation so when you factor in the price of having them mounted they are not that expensive. I killed 2 KM2's out on a desert trip and it was no questions asked. Well worth it in my book as one replaced tire with the tires I run = the same cost of 5 certs if i didnt have it, plus I can take it in as often as I want and get them rotated and balanced.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Money well spent IMO. I have had a nail go in my sidewall and they replaced the tire no questions asked. They do prorate based upon tread wear but it is very reasonable.The other reason they get my business is the free tire rotation and flat repair they do. Nobody else in town does that. They rotate the tires on my H1 tires even though I didn't buy them there.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I have the 4wp certain on my km2s. It's annoying with them you have to pay $50 mount and balance if you use it. I'm not sure I'll buy the certs again, at lest for off road tires. They are so damn durable that it's hard to kill them and a plug not just work for you. Passenger car tires I like them.
I've ruined 2 KM2 35s now, one with 200 miles on it and now one with less than 3000 miles. The sidewalls suck. Wasn't doing anything extreme either time.

My new tire is supposed to be in at Discount Tire today, I hope I don't have to pay mount and balance on new tire. I know I do have to purchase a new cert for the new tire though.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I've ruined 2 KM2 35s now, one with 200 miles on it and now one with less than 3000 miles. The sidewalls suck. Wasn't doing anything extreme either time.
About 35k on mine, plenty of hard trails (missing a few lugs after awhile). Never any sidewall failures, I've put a plug in one from a framing nail. I'd buy them again, but their height is what bothers me. Usually run mine at 10psi or so, had them folded over so the tire is nearly touching the rim!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That's what pisses me off! I never go less than 15psi and was the guy using a little more caution through the rocks when mine went. Most of the other guys were driving beat up non-streetable xj's and bashing through stuff.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
That's what pisses me off! I never go less than 15psi and was the guy using a little more caution through the rocks when mine went. Most of the other guys were driving beat up non-streetable xj's and bashing through stuff.
Too much pressure is worse. Tires wont flex as much and cuts easier. I run 6 to 8 all the time when slow wheeling on my 35 12.5 15s. 10ish if speeds will likely be going a little faster Luke two tracking and such. Has worked well for me for years with different tires and different rigs.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Too much pressure is worse. Tires wont flex as much and cuts easier. I run 6 to 8 all the time when slow wheeling on my 35 12.5 15s. 10ish if speeds will likely be going a little faster Luke two tracking and such. Has worked well for me for years with different tires and different rigs.
That's a new way for me to look at it. I gotta do something different. I have another cut on the same tire that went that wasn't far from going through as well. I kinda like running a little more because I thought it would be less likely to get damaged and most of the guys I used to run with ran 37s and I figured a little more air helped even out the clearance difference between mine and thiers.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
That's a new way for me to look at it. I gotta do something different. I have another cut on the same tire that went that wasn't far from going through as well. I kinda like running a little more because I thought it would be less likely to get damaged and most of the guys I used to run with ran 37s and I figured a little more air helped even out the clearance difference between mine and thiers.
You may get more clearance, but the tire is stiffer so if something pushes against a sidewall it doesn't give as much. Both times I've cut sidewalls was when running higher pressures for whatever reason. However, I've done things with lower pressures that I thought for sure would cut them but didn't even leave a mark because the tire just wrapped around it.

Realistically, 15 psi is hardly allowing the tire to even bulge much. 10 psi starts a decent bulge. Of course, different sizes and brands act differently so figure out what works best for you. However, 15 is way too high.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just wondering what everyones vew is out DT's Certificate of Refund/Replace? Does anyone have any personal experience with using it? Worth the $$?
I think they are worth it...we had a cut in the sidewall of my mtr kevlar, had to pay 50 bucks for a new warranty was all. Free mount n balance....so 50 bucks for new cert and 50 bucks at the time of original purchase i think= 100 bucks for a $350 tire.....not sure what they run these days....

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I know I'm reviving a little bit of an old thread but I had another sidewall failure Friday, spent an hour at Discount tire, then had a stick go through yet another sidewall Sunday.

I have to figure out another tire with better sidewalls. I have literally have had 3 ruined KM2s in the last 3 trips offroad. First at 15psi, second at 11psi, and the third at 32psi. Tread depth on this the 2 this weekend 17/32, they come with 19/32. (BFG claims 20/32 but they only measure 19/32)

I'm going to start a new thread on this as well, not sure dirty laundry or what but I need to vent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts