JKOwners Forum banner

Disc Golf?

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  FLLawdog 
#1 ·
A buddy of mine took me out last week to play disc golf for the first time and I am HOOKED! went out the next day and bought a set of discs....

anyone else play? have any pointers for a noob?

#2 ·
i play from time to time. Just have fun. dont get to techo weenie with it. I carry one disc...maybe 2. and a back pack full beer. I gotta laugh when i see some dork with 100 discs and a small pack muel to carry it all just because if a squirrel farts in the pine tree he needs a disc to compensate for it. Just throw the fricken toy.lol Check out French Creeks course if you havnt already.

#3 ·
its great, lots of fun. even goes well with :smokin: :grinpimp:

we only ever carry 2 discs. a driver and a putter. and this is because we have a friend who is really into it. but he still even only carries two.

beagle comes with us too and she loves it! lots of sniffing time.

#4 ·
I went with my buddy before he is really big into it he probably has about 50 discs lol. It is a good way to kill some time, but I am not big into it. Just a fun time to get a few people together and play.

#6 ·
you must live in palomino park? how is it? though about moving to that area

#8 ·
Here's the local park. Being anovice, I can't give an educated review and comparison of the course, but I had a great time! First time I played it 3 times with a Wham-O 175g and did fair. Never made par, but had some good shots. A few days later, I went to Play It Again Sports and got an Innova Valkyrie. Did much better and by the second time around I was making some strong pars.

Most of the holes lack real finesse, but require some long drives. There are a few that have some pretty imposing obstacles like hundred year old oaks that look like enjoy eating discs.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2597&mode=ci

Back in, ohhhhhhhh, I don't know, maybe 1982/83, I played this course. It was my first try at disc golf, although I was a regular thrower and a pretty wicked drive for a 16 year old.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3811

Back then, I was still using a standard Wham-O, I think in the 165g flavor, but may have been a 140g.

One hole I can still remember. The tee was at the top of a hill with a pretty decent slope and a hard left turn at the end. The basket was out of sight from the tee. There was a thick tree canopy that prevented you from taking a short cut and forcing you to throw under the low hanging branches. If you threw as if you were on flat ground, the disc would ultimately catch too much air since there is a slope and fade back with minimal distance. Throw it too low to compensate and it's in the ground.

Then there was the water hazard. The testosterone wanted to wing it over the pond, but the logical side didn't want to risk losing my brother in law's disc, so I had to lose a stroke and lay it up.

#9 ·
My son plays on teams down in Austin. I played for the first time last weekend with him. Just have fun would be my recommendation as well. He has a pack but also has won money playing so I won't say anything about all the disc's. I lost one and found a better one in the creek so I'm better than even. Good time for anyone willing to walk.

#12 ·
I kept saying I wasn't gonna get all geek with this. Yeah one disc will do. Already had a Valkyrie driver just picked up a putter and a mid range. Mark me as geek now.
HA!

I said the same thing when I started! Now I have more discs than I cam even remember! And after throwing many a round with them, I've settled on a "Buzzz SS" for my drives, and "Avian" for my mids and approaches and some no name super soft putter. I have about 20 total discs in my bag but consistently only throw those 3

#11 ·
I kept saying I wasn't gonna get all geek with this. Yeah one disc will do. Already had a Valkyrie driver just picked up a putter and a mid range. Mark me as geek now.

#15 ·
I actually carry three :hide:

a driver, putter and some goofy shaped one that goes up really high.
we have a couple of long stretches on the course I play on where there are a lot of short trees and it is a lot easier to go over rather than through them.

I haven't played in a couple months though.

#17 ·
I also play disc golf, usually once a week. It's always a good time with some buddies and beer. I love seeing the guys who carry 30 disc to the course but then only use 4 at most. Then when they stink it up they start whippin out all kinds of random disc sayin," well I should have thrown this one." Disc golf is like anything else. Carry a driver and a butter and practice and constancy will bring the game quickly. It's easy, like was said, your just throwing a toy. Don't make it any harder than that and you'll b fine. If your back hand throw sucks then try what they call 'flicking' the disc. Flicking is basically holding the disc the complete opposite way you would as is you were going to throw a disc on the beach. Then flick it side armed. I think I just went nerd on that post but it is a fun game. Innova makes good discs. Champion orc by Innova is a good one.also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.