JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all new here.
I have some new 7" LED headlights from superbrightLED.com the did not include a wiring harness so I looked up what would of been included and it seemed to directly transition from the LED 3 prong to the Jeep connection. I figured I could just direct wire. seems now I can only get dim when on hi

its a 2012 wrangler unlimited
any help would be great!

thanks
Fifty

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
You will need to make or buy H13 to H4 adapters and CANBUS flicker elimination adapter. If you are making them you can do it all in one short wiring harness (pigtail harness). I made mine so I can't recommend any of the pre-made adapters.

If you can solder, making one is easy and costs about $20 in parts. You will need 2x H13 Male plugs plus 2x H4 Female sockets, with pigtails. You will also need 4x (four) 220uf, 35V or higher voltage, electrolytic capacitors. Then a small hobby box (just large enough to hold the capacitors) and some epoxy to fill the box with (to seal against water intrusion). Maybe some extra 16 AWG wire and heat shrink to extend the leads on the plugs if needed.

Drill a hole on opposite sides of the project box and feed the wiring from one H4 and one H13 connector through. Solder the high beam, low beam and ground leads from the H13 to the H4 connector. You might need to add some wire to allow enough play to position everything; four inches or so on either end is a good amount, and if you do add wire, it's a good idea to insulate them with adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing to make the splices water tight. But do not use anything to insulate the wires inside the box yet. These images show the pinouts of the two connectors.

Then solder the + lead from a capacitor to the low beam wire, and the - lead to the ground wire. The - side of the capacitor is labeled and also is the shorter of the two leads. Repeat for the high beam side, then insulate your wires with electrical tape. Make sure the wires are spaced so they are not touching. It's a good idea at this stage to use a multimeter to check that your connections are all correct.

Then fill the box with epoxy until everything is covered. Wait for the epoxy to harden then screw the cover closed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks so much! quick question.... if the plugs all us to make the connection why cant we just do a direct wiring of the lights?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts