JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my leaking stock differential covers with a set of ARBs. I've never used the Lube Lockers gaskets. Do they offer any advantage over Permatex Gasket Makers? Also, anybody remember what color Permatex to use??? Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I do not have any personal use with the gaskets but I do know that when installed properly they can provide a few advantages. One of them is that you do not have to scrape the sealant off of the mating service every time you pop the cover off... the other is that the gaskets are reusable if you are extra careful with them. I know some people to get them on just right use two or three studs that are the same size as the diff cover bolts and guide the cover on. After the cover is on they put the remaining bolts in, unscrew the studs, and replace the studs with the bolts. As for recommended sealant... "You get a tube of The Right Stuff™ RTV - one of the best on the market, and my personal favourite next to the factory GM stuff." (Billavista)

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-BV60/index4.html

Hope this helps.

-Casey

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I was behind a Cherokee that caught its rear diff on a rock but good. She (no I'd never say any thing about a woman driver, but it was the only rock sticking up out of the trail...) pulled through it, but it did put enough of a pry on the cover to separate the silicone and leak badly after that.

I've run Lube Lockers for many miles and lube changes are a snap plus zero leakage, ever. No scraping, no looking for all the little pieces of sealant in the diff... It all comes down to whether you wanna spend the $4-5 for the silicone or the $16 for the gaskets I guess.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I use paper gaskets as they are cheap, but I've used reusable gaskets in the past with good results. If you use RTV, blue is color I'd use, but I've used black and red in the past with no issues. I just hate clearing it up, hence the paper gaskets, as I'm not smart enough to order a reusable ahead of time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts