JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next year I'd like to try something different than the normal turkey dinner. Anyone have any unusual holiday recipes from the 1800's or family traditions that are not the norm?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
We do texmex sometimes and have tamales, enchiladas, chili, rice, beans, etc. etc. Its different, and the enchiladas are even better the next day....mmm

I have a cookbook with recipes from the 1800's that has some cool recipes that I enjoy making every now and again, epsecially they old desserts...

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I would like to have a seafood thanksgiving... now that sounds good to me! Shrimp, soft shell crab, lobsters and all the "fixins" to go with them...
Now that sounds fantastic. Instead of turkey stuffed with dressing...Lobster stuffed with crab. Add some different shrimp dishes, fresh broiled flounder, etc...YUM!

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Did something different this year...roast suckling (17 lbs) pig on the BBQ rotisserie...virtually no fat, no waste, and definitely no left overs this year, thank God...no mylanta for me...that's for porkers, alcoholics, and geriatrics...next year, I think I'll do the sea food thing...how was your Jimmy Buffet Thanksgiving Krusty?

·
Registered
586 Posts
It was excellent. The wife and I have a bad habit of spending Thanksgiving in our favorite town, Charleston. We really like having something non-traditional..... roast suckling pig sounds like fun. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MMMMMM roast piggie. That does sound good. Maybe a rotisserie turkey. I think I'll have to build a fire pit with a spit over it for the bird and enough room for a couple of dutch ovens to make some cobbler and cornbread. Where do you get a suckling pig if you don't know a farmer?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
MMMMMM roast piggie. That does sound good. Maybe a rotisserie turkey. I think I'll have to build a fire pit with a spit over it for the bird and enough room for a couple of dutch ovens to make some cobbler and cornbread. Where do you get a suckling pig if you don't know a farmer?

There's a butcher shop in Chesapeake, VA, where I ordered one...one can go to Smithfield, VA (where the ham is made) and buy one from any pig farm one sees off the road...18 pounder was perfect...size of a turkey, little fat, and it all went that night...

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
This one will be on the table for Christmas this year- but he ain't so small. :fj:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
This one will be on the table for Christmas this year- but he ain't so small. :fj:

Not me bro...too much work for a poker that big....down in Peru, my in laws hire a few good men to butcher, prepare, and cook pigs that big in an earthen oven...called pachamanca....:smokin:

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
seafood thanksgiving

I would like to have a seafood thanksgiving... now that sounds good to me! Shrimp, soft shell crab, lobsters and all the "fixins" to go with them...
I have an idea my wife would be all over this like an Asian on rice! ;) Perhaps I'll suggest it to her for the next holiday.... Gee that is only 25 days away!. :laughing:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I want to try Turducken. That is, for those who dont know, is a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.