JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my diff covers with some new armor. I don't want to over fill my diffs (JK Rubi D44's). How much fluid does it take front and rear?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have 4 pints front, 7.5 pints rear. Never had a problem with the rear overflowing, but have had at the front. During the cooler months I ran 4.5 pints or so in the front with no issues, but now it's warmed up I found that on long trips that was venting slightly, so I've dropped it back to 4 pints.

You definitely want more than stock, which is 2.75 pts front and 4.75 pts rear, to make sure the pinion/bearings get well lubed. With your lift you may need a little less than me, maybe something like 6.5 pts rear and 3.5 pts front.

FWIW I found syn fluid leaked past the axle seal in the front, so i run 80W90 dino up front and as the rear diff gets real hot, I run Mobil1 75W140 in the rear.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.....the rear diff gets real hot......
Obviously I got the covers. Thanks. Put them on last night and was going to fill tonight and head to Boulder Creek in the AM.

My rear diff fluid was burnt with only 2900 miles. It must get HOT. I might change the engine oil for the first time tonight as well......why not.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
My rear diff fluid was burnt with only 2900 miles. It must get HOT.
I noticed that when it was leaking out, looked well used for a vehicle with so few miles.

I might change the engine oil for the first time tonight as well......why not.
Go steady now ;) :D

Hope you had a good time at Boulder Creek :smokin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts