JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*WARNING!!! I'm going to rant on for a min so if you just want to see what I'm planning scroll down to the vehicle-spec ideas I have below* :beer:

OK guys! I'm still over in Afghanistaniland so I'm just tryin to get some thoughts and opinions on something that's been goin through my head recently... I'm going to do a diesel swap; I've already decided on that. And I want 1-ton axles but I want to keep my ABS and chit (I'm looking into my different options in regard to that). Additionally I have a Camaro that needs a new engine/tranny (this is all interconnected I assure you). I want to keep all this as cheap as possible so the thing I've been thinkin about is: What if I bought an old M1008 CUCV pickup, used the engine/tranny for the Camaro and the axles/transfercase for the Jeep? They come with a 6.2L V8 diesel (would be AWESOME in the Camaro!!!), TH400 transmission (would replace the old tired TH400 that's already in there), NP208 transfercase (I really want a Dana 300 for the Jeep but in the interest of saving money I think this would be an acceptable compromise for now), passenger-side drop front D60 axle, and 14-bolt FF rear axle! Yes, the D60 is a low pinion but considering I could kill a bunch of birds with one stone and that "stone" could potentially cost me only a couple grand I think it might be a feasible idea! I would have to move the gastank, fab up all sorts of mounts, blah blah blah but I'm plannin on puttin in a 4BT and NV4500 in the Jeep anyways so it's really not that much of a stretch. What do YOU guys think though? Good idea? Stoopid idea? Bacon? Bacon cheeseburger? Mmm... bacon cheeseburger... :grinpimp:

Donor vehicle = Running CUCV pickup

2008 Wrangler Unlimited
Cummins 4BT diesel engine
NV4500 manual tranny
NP208 transfercase
D60 low-pinion front axle
14-bolt FF rear axle
Relocated fueltank
Bacon

1979 Chevy Camaro
6.2L diesel V8
Matching TH400 auto tranny
Blown up 10-bolt axle (at least it will be after I turbo the 6.2L :grinpimp:)
Bacon cheeseburger

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS: The Jeep will most likely (eventually) get a high-pinion D-60 for the front and Dana 300 transfer with twinsticks/etc... The Camaro will eventually get an OD tranny (although whether auto or manual I haven't decided yet) and a HD rearend (after I blow the pansy 10-bolt up of course)... I'm just lookin at spendin the least amount of money while still gettin good gear in both vehicles now. :beer:

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Nothing wrong with the low pinion plenty of room in the front, it will not interfere with travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rookie/Chad: Thanks for the input! I was thinkin the same thing. I know it's not "ideal" but don't think it'll be all that bad; I plan on runnin my 38.5's for a while anyways so that should help keep the LP off the rocks a bit...

Everyone else: HEY!!! ADD YOUR INPUT!!! I know you guys are opinionated (I've been around this forum long enough)! Stop being shy and speak up! :grinpimp::beer:

·
Registered
131 Posts
With the exhaust manifold/turbo on the 4bt being on the passenger side, do you think that would get in the way of the DS with the passenger side drop? I know there is a high and a low mount turbo setups on the 4bt, just have never seen one installed in a JK. But I would like to do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I'm running a low pinion 9" in the front with 40's and coilovers, no issues at all, and flexes like crazy

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the exhaust manifold/turbo on the 4bt being on the passenger side, do you think that would get in the way of the DS with the passenger side drop? I know there is a high and a low mount turbo setups on the 4bt, just have never seen one installed in a JK. But I would like to do the same thing.
With the level of customization that I'm already looking at a bit of turbo modding isn't going to be too much to handle! ;)

Why not a full drivetrain swap from the truck to jeep?
The 6.2L is a decent engine but not a great one. The Cummins is better in SOOO many ways! Plus, this is my DD so I DEF need OD... :beer:

The 5.9L has been tried and it's just too damn big to (easily) fit in the JK's... Sad, the 4BT is an AWESOME motor but the 6BT is king of the light-duty diesels! I LOVE that engine!

I'm running a low pinion 9" in the front with 40's and coilovers, no issues at all, and flexes like crazy

Awesome... I'm thinkin this is actually a really viable idea (so long as I can work the ABS issue out)! You guys rock! :beer:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How about a Isuzu Turbo Diesel out of a Box Truck 3.8L.
I'm not familiar with those engines like I am with the BTs. I know quite a bit about the Cummins and it's alreay been done (so I could buy the kit or parts from the kit instead of fabbin up EVERYTHING). Why the Izuzu VS the Cummins in your opinion? I'm lookin it up now on the all powerful Google but like I said I know nothing of these engines... :beer:

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
LS in a JK

The 4BD1T's came in Isuzu NPR trucks from '86 to '91. They were turbo-ed but not intercooled and were rated at 121 hp @ 3000 rpm and 232 ft-lb @ 1800 rpm. They use an in-line mechanically-controlled injection pump and are direct-injected. The 4BD2T is basically the same block as the 4BD1T but the head configuration is changed to indirect injection. The 4BD2T's came in Isuzu NPR trucks (also re-badged as Chevy and GMC) from '92 to '97. They were rated @ 135 hp @ 2800 rpm and 255 ft-lbs @ 1900 rpm. The 4BD2Ts were intercooled in addition to turbo-ed and I suspect the intercooler was primarily responsible for the increase in hp and torque.

The latter (4HE1TC) engines increased displacement from 3.9 to 4.8 liters, went to an overhead cam configuration and went to electronic controls on the injection. They also swapped the intake and exhaust sides of the engine so they are opposite to that of a LC. These engines were rated at 142 hp for manual transmission models and 175 hp for the automatics.

My understanding is that the bell housings are not interchangeable between the 4BD and the 4HE series engines.

Most people seem to want to mate the Isuzu engine to a LC transmission or to another transmission for which there are adapters to LC TC (ie NV4500).

This is just an engine we where looking in to, i think it runs better than the 4BT and it is a lot smother.
Just an idea, i think it is a little lighter.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jss: Damn you! I know SO much about Cummins and now you're making me look into Isuzu motors!!! :thefinger:

Heh heh... I've spent most of my freetime today looking into these engines and they do sound pretty sweet; very similar to the 4BT in many regards but better in the important ones of power and NVH... Still being able to use an OD manual tranny that I'm familiar with helps too! What I read made it sound a little heavier than the 4BT though; I read somewhere that it was about 785lbs? That's not much heavier than the 4BT though so it's not much of a consideration if it is... I've still got two months over here (so plenty of time to research)! :beer:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
PS: All my research so far today has been into the 3.9L Isuzu motor. :beer:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not to bring up a dead thread (even if it IS my own) but I've been doin some research and crunching some numbers and this DOESN'T actually seem to be much (if ANY) cheaper than finding the parts seperate (and making everything work proper)! I'll have to do some shopping and a LOT of the work myself (something I planned on anyways) but I can prob get a HP D-60 front, 14-bolt rear, engine, and tranny for cheaper when all's said and done... :beer:

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
company i work for is a hino/izuzu/ud/mitzu dealer...just an fyi...i've done a decent amount of work on the izuzu inline on cabovers...they use the aisin auto trans...and are pretty reliable...not to bad to work on...but my preference ls with the hino and cummins motors

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.